Kits

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisHerzog

Supporting Member
I wish more guys would sell their boats in kit form. I have as much fun building them as I do racing them. I took a break from the two gas scale boats that I’m building and knocked this 20 rigger kit that I won out this week. This is also a great kit to build if you have never built your own boat before. All you really need is a sanding block, sand paper, glue and cups to mix the glue in. It’s really simple to build and a fun boat to drive!

Attachments

• 39EDE504-08F6-488A-97FD-1DE57448276F.jpeg
    39EDE504-08F6-488A-97FD-1DE57448276F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 61
Yeah and if you get the ultimate hardware package you just have to add your power system and receiver.

Brad
I plan on ordering the ultimate kit but I’m going to get John to build me a metal tank for it instead of using the plastic tank. I’m also making an epoxy cowl for it, in fact I just walked in from laying it up outside!! The bottom line tho is that's I still need to save my pennies in order to call Stu to order a new motor for it, so it’s going to be a while before it gets run. Nevertheless they are fun to build!!

The cowl that I made for it.... I think it looks pretty cool!!

Attachments

• EAB9C230-4C27-4B5D-960C-EB8F3AF83D35.jpeg
    EAB9C230-4C27-4B5D-960C-EB8F3AF83D35.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 103
  • 80B5369F-9437-4EE3-BCA3-3F9846EBD966.jpeg
    80B5369F-9437-4EE3-BCA3-3F9846EBD966.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 94
  • 62FCCDF2-6BAC-47E2-9C9C-DCA5EC419CD5.jpeg
    62FCCDF2-6BAC-47E2-9C9C-DCA5EC419CD5.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 77
  • CA3ED56B-2CB3-4028-BFB1-38C2F3CB060A.jpeg
    CA3ED56B-2CB3-4028-BFB1-38C2F3CB060A.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 68
I don't know what white foam melts with epoxy Allan, especially if it came from Joe..The white foam is lighter and less dense than the pink.

Brad
Yes the white foam came from Joe because I am not surprised that use devon epoxy glue but seem foam eat to melt ( acid)

The only time epoxy "melts" white foam is if the cure time is too fast generating higher levels of heat. Slow cure epoxy will not melt white foam.
now I understand that‘s why I will get new epoxy 45 min than 15min thanks for info

Yes the white foam came from Joe because I am not surprised that use devon epoxy glue but seem foam eat to melt ( acid)
Accelerated epoxies like Devcon 5 and 15 minute use a bit of polyester resin to achieve a faster setting time. Hence they will have a tendency to eat into some forms of foam. We found in the old days, that polyester resin would not harden when covering balsa boats with fiberglass, if there was any epoxy exposed along glue joints. The fix was to spread some 5 minute epoxy over the joint and the polyester resin would harden as normal.
I use a 60 watt incandescent spot lamp to fast harden a slow set epoxy like West Systems. I can get full hard in less than 2 hours in places where I can concentrate the heat.

Doug. All you did with that was inhibit the air.. Now that I cannot be around epoxies anymore I have been researching polyesters.. If you inhibit the air to polyester resin after you have laid it up (even a very thin sealing layer) if you brush poly vinyl alcohol over it after it your layup.. in just a few hours its FULLY cured... just rinse off the poly vinyl alcohol and your good.

Grim

Grim , Im interested to know your thoughts on spot curing epoxy with a heat lamp as DougSick described above ??

Epoxies loosen with heat polyester the opposite (they cure).. having said this i know ZERO about quick setting epoxys.. I never used them.

Grim

I personally have never used heat to speed the cure on epoxy-
Let it do what its designed to do has been my thought.

Now that this thread has been completely highjacked. For white foam cored sponsons, try gorilla glue. Epoxy just bonds to the surface. Regular gorilla with just a very small amount will penetrate 2-3 rows of beads into the foam. It makes for a much stronger sponson. And its ready for the next operation in 3 hrs. Learned this sheeting large scale aircraft wings. Apply the glue to the sheeting with a scraper to leave just a small amount of glue. On corners put a small bead of glue on the foam to form a stronger seam. Mist the foam with water and tape it up. It really locks in turn fin mounts and boom pins.

Back