Kits

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that this thread has been completely highjacked. For white foam cored sponsons, try gorilla glue. Epoxy just bonds to the surface. Regular gorilla with just a very small amount will penetrate 2-3 rows of beads into the foam. It makes for a much stronger sponson. And its ready for the next operation in 3 hrs. Learned this sheeting large scale aircraft wings. Apply the glue to the sheeting with a scraper to leave just a small amount of glue. On corners put a small bead of glue on the foam to form a stronger seam. Mist the foam with water and tape it up. It really locks in turn fin mounts and boom pins.

I agree. Started to use Gorilla glue for foam to wood back when I was building WOF tunnels. Besides it curing in 3 hrs for the next step, Gorilla turns into a foam. This does not add the weight epoxy does and it's so much easier to sand than epoxy. Thin layer on both pieces works the best.

The glue is only half of it, we migrated away from styrene foam a long time ago. FYI, when Tim, Charley and Dennis started Crapshooter Boats, it was because they used it in the pattern making business that they were involved with at the time. Wood over foam started with these guys. If they had H80 foam they would have jumped on it immediately.

The glue is only half of it, we migrated away from styrene foam a long time ago. FYI, when Tim, Charley and Dennis started Crapshooter Boats, it was because they used it in the pattern making business that they were involved with at the time. Wood over foam started with these guys. If they had H80 foam they would have jumped on it immediately.
They used 5 min. Epoxy to build the original Crapshooters with what in the pattern building business was called red and blue spec styrene foam

Tight cell foams are OK with epoxy.. I am personally not a fan of pink and blue foams for interior closed areas. You can save A BUNCH of weight using expanded bead polystyrene foam and to me the savings are huge. The strength using poly glues are VERY good as well. The hard part when using poly glues is controlling the expansion. They will lift just about anything.. dont use to much.. as stated by others.. a nice neat thin application one and mist water on the other.. AWESOME! Only way to do a wood to foam lamination!

Grim

what about 3M spray glues?
90 and 77 adhesives dry in like a half hour...
Not sure about waterproof... but I used it to put down carpet in my boat, and it never lifted .

I wish more guys would sell their boats in kit form. I have as much fun building them as I do racing them. I took a break from the two gas scale boats that I’m building and knocked this 20 rigger kit that I won out this week. This is also a great kit to build if you have never built your own boat before. All you really need is a sanding block, sand paper, glue and cups to mix the glue in. It’s really simple to build and a fun boat to drive!
Great little boat! Really like mine. It is set up with TD sponsons and I opted for a metal tank. I have been away from the hobby for 10 plus years and it was very different from what I remembered and I had my doubts at first but seeing it run in rough water conditions really surprised me. Still in the break in stages but I think it is going to be a competitive boat.

Attachments

• B9CEE986-4F92-402A-93C0-8E6E1B660003.jpeg
    B9CEE986-4F92-402A-93C0-8E6E1B660003.jpeg
    794.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 203865E3-3FD2-4457-BAEE-A52057B71194.jpeg
    203865E3-3FD2-4457-BAEE-A52057B71194.jpeg
    803.1 KB · Views: 64
Now that this thread has been completely highjacked. For white foam cored sponsons, try gorilla glue. Epoxy just bonds to the surface. Regular gorilla with just a very small amount will penetrate 2-3 rows of beads into the foam. It makes for a much stronger sponson. And its ready for the next operation in 3 hrs. Learned this sheeting large scale aircraft wings. Apply the glue to the sheeting with a scraper to leave just a small amount of glue. On corners put a small bead of glue on the foam to form a stronger seam. Mist the foam with water and tape it up. It really locks in turn fin mounts and boom pins.
Tight cell foams are OK with epoxy.. I am personally not a fan of pink and blue foams for interior closed areas. You can save A BUNCH of weight using expanded bead polystyrene foam and to me the savings are huge. The strength using poly glues are VERY good as well. The hard part when using poly glues is controlling the expansion. They will lift just about anything.. dont use to much.. as stated by others.. a nice neat thin application one and mist water on the other.. AWESOME! Only way to do a wood to foam lamination!

Grim
What does the mist of water do?

I’m going to say wood over foam started with Don Pinckert. His Gator boat was out before the crapshooter. He actually had his Mixer boat, wood over foam way before the Gators. Charlie and Tim Reis took measurements off Dons Gator for references to get started in building the Crapshooters. This whole story was told by Tim Reis in a email/thread years ago. Jeff Lutz

I’m going to say wood over foam started with Don Pinckert. His Gator boat was out before the crapshooter. He actually had his Mixer boat, wood over foam way before the Gators. Charlie and Tim Reis took measurements off Dons Gator for references to get started in building the Crapshooters. This whole story was told by Tim Reis in a email/thread years ago. Jeff Lutz
Thanks for clarifying Jeff, It’s been along time ago, when I see Tim and his son at the heli fun flys we talk helis. Were the first Gators built up/ribbed sponsons?
Thanks John

Thanks for clarifying Jeff, It’s been along time ago, when I see Tim and his son at the heli fun flys we talk helis. Were the first Gators built up/ribbed sponsons?
Thanks John
No, Gators were always white foam and epoxy glued wood. And actually Jerry Thomas was the first to use WOF construction and Don was the first to use it in a outrigger. Jeff

Back