Kick up rudder for Miss Vegas

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had already planned on doing the same on the Vegas I've got sitting in my shop, nice job Mike. This is something that really should be incorporated into the next production run. :)

I did the same thing also.

I used a #6 on top and a nylon #4 on the bottom.

Easy to do and deffinatly worth the effort. :)

Be carefull,the parts seem to be cast and not from bar stock.

I'm not completly sure what happened, This was the 1st run with the kickback rudder and i was trimming it out, it seemes to be running good so i was making some laps then all the sudden she wouldn't turn and i hit the shore at low speed. Both the rudder and the prop hit something. I used some brass screws, but i would like to go with nylon. Here of some pictures of how mine looked before i'll takes some pictures of the damage tonight. I also used the brass bolts on the turn fin.

My Webpage

My Webpage

make i wasn't going fast enough. :blink:

Glenn,

The fuel tank is a Grimracer tank for the Dumas Pay-N-Pack, I made the rest of the stuff.

MikeP

I did the same thing with the rudder and am now working on the turn fin. Any idea how to bend the turn fin? Will heat allow (what looks like a cast part) it to be bent without breaking? I think slanting back and trimming will be the ticket. How about slanting it towards the inside instead of doing the bend to the inside (if a bend is not possible)? I am modifying stock parts instead of the easier replacement route in order to remain all stock parts until the RTR rules are more finalized.

I am building another Miss Vegas for regular competition with after-market parts, no tail fin, and a healthy 21. Has anyone done this successfully?

I did the same thing with the rudder and am now working on the turn fin. Any idea how to bend the turn fin? Will heat allow (what looks like a cast part) it to be bent without breaking? I think slanting back and trimming will be the ticket. How about slanting it towards the inside instead of doing the bend to the inside (if a bend is not possible)? I am modifying stock parts instead of the easier replacement route in order to remain all stock parts until the RTR rules are more finalized.

I am building another Miss Vegas for regular competition with after-market parts, no tail fin, and a healthy 21. Has anyone done this successfully?
Modifying an original part sorta no longer makes it a stock part. That would like me grinding & cutting up an engine & still calling it stock. I think the kick up rudder is no big deal as it doesn't alter the way it runs. Since Aquacraft offers a factory turn fin upgrade & the general consensus in the current RTR thread would allow it you should just get the turn fin upgrade. I've already seen one run with it & the upgraded fin works quite well. Besides, I seriosly doubt you'll be able to do anything with the stock fin without breaking it. :blink:

As for a 21 hop up I believe that Jerry D. has a thread on here somewhere about doing just that. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
find a 2 inch pipe, keep the front edge of the stock vegas fin perpindicular to the pipe and hammer away. it won't break. I cut 1/2 inch off the bottom of mine also, the finish on the outside is from a sandblast I think and makes it look cast.

Kelly Miller

Modifying an original part sorta no longer makes it a stock part. That would like me grinding & cutting up an engine & still calling it stock. I think the kick up rudder is no big deal as it doesn't alter the way it runs. Since Aquacraft offers a factory turn fin upgrade & the general consensus in the current RTR thread would allow it you should just get the turn fin upgrade. I've already seen one run with it & the upgraded fin works quite well. Besides, I seriosly doubt you'll be able to do anything with the stock fin without breaking it. :blink:
I bent mine last night by clamping it in a vise and applying hand pressure. Worked fine. Will be testing tomorrow.

great looking rudder.

I just purchased a nib .21 ops side exhaust and unmuffled pipe(you can look right thru it) but it has a sliding carb.How does this carb work in a push pull aplication like the stock vegas engine.

I have not had time to do anything with my 2nd vegas which i am thinking on modding it with the ops.

I think the stock header and the ops pipe i just purchased will work on the .21 ops.

it looks like a winter project to me but I am a bit puzzled on the slide carb.some say they are great others say change it..

I would like to use the carb to save the cost of purchasing another carb.

also will this pipe that looks like it has no baffle create enough pressure to pressurize the fule tank?

Terry

Adam,

My OS is the RZ-M. Hmm.. The CMD pipe I don't know for sure but is was bought when they first came out with the MAC 21 if that helps.

Terry,

I have good luck setting up slide carbs using the throttle kit from dubro that is flexable cable in a plastic tube. But I would find an OS carb that will fit on it, is's a lot less trouble setting up a rotary carb.

Mike

Latest posts

Back