K&B red carb:Tell us about it

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not proclaiming to have any valuable knowledge here.. or valuable input.. but just got me thinking back to my predator variable venturi carb days ( auto racing ) you got the optimum venturi size / speed at any throttle opening...

Somehow I just do not think a smaller carb makes a leaner mixture. Whatever motor displacement you have an air pump sucking air through a carb throat. Smaller venturi means higher vacuum or more fuel draw. The other factor in the mixture equation is pipe pressure. More pipe pressure more fuel. How do you increase pipe pressure? Smaller outlet. This also makes more heat for better combustion. More fuel, more heat, more power.
For a .21 the red carb can work but I don't think your gaining much if any power. I believe you loose midrange acceleration to gain potential top end. That and a much more critical needle to deal with.
Many of us have that bigger carb bigger exhaust mentality. Leave the gun in the holster, pull the trigger and you get the same result. A hole in your foot.
Mic

I think you missed my reply 100%. LOL Hold on, my Dyslexia has to have time to process your reply!

What that means is I simply trying to converse and talk.

First, dyno's don't work in the real world as they are controlled environments and variables.

Secund, air/fuel travels faster in narrow passages, than in wider passages. fast/slow Turbulence, I'm sure you knew that tho.
Narrow passages have higher turbulence because the air/fuel mixture is leaner do to less area (Small Carb).
Wide passages have lower turbulence because the air/fuel mixture is richer do to more area (large carb).
Now filling the same combustion chamber of any engine...with two different size carb throats.
Small carb: Narrow throat/passage, Leaner air/fuel mixtures yield high rpm but torque or as you call it (power), is sacrificed.
Large Carb: Wider throat/passage, Richer air/fuel mixtures yield higher torque but rpm is sacrificed.

A stupid dyno can't determine in a controlled environment what the end user is looking for.

Someone wants to turn a de-tongued prop, a small carb would deliver high rpm where a de-tongued prop would not really need loads of stupid huge torque ratings.

Someone wants to turn a small high pitch prop, a large carb would supply the torque needed but the rpm would be lower.

depends on what someone wants and what it will be used for.

But yes it's a hobby, and I'm just curious is all. I have been out of the hobby so I never owned a SS engine during its heyday, stepping back into the hobby only to be told it wont work, has sparked a hobby, with-in a hobby, figuring out why a red carb wont run with a gold head, head, as the engines are the same just a different head and different cooling.

I was thinking because of the combustion chamber temps and insufficient cooling fins, I decided to do this see pic. A dyno didn't have to tell me that, nor did a wind tunnel.
The above is all you had to say, they overheat and go lean do to insufficient cooling fins. But you want to jack off and sound special.

I think your a cool dude but when your ready to pull your pants up and quit "Trying" to show your arses and talk like a normal person, we might get along. If not oh-well.

I built engines at the Anna Honda Engine plant, oh, for 8 years, I can get technical too but I choose to talk to people rather than try (TRY) to belittle them.

PS I was taught by the number one K&B guru in the IMPBA. He didn't rely on, lol dynos.

Keep the prop in the water and the bow up. (Hold on we might need a wind tunnel for this one)

There is no such thing as a "STUPID DYNO". For someone to make such a statement just shows their............lack of level of understanding. (Don, that is about as nice as I can say this)

I just happen to have one that I can use for one weekend and learn more than you could for months using on the water testing. Learning about what will work and what will not work.
Why do you think that ALL of the BEST manufactures, engine builders and tuners use one.
Is it the last word in engine tuning and performance, NO but it a very essential tool to getting the most performance.

Just so you know, your post and lack of good knowledge are getting a lot of good boaters on here raw at you. (Don, again trying to be nice)

Charles Perdue

I second Charles. We built a dyno specifically to develop engines for SAW records. All out engines spent time on dynos, both ours and at Quickdraw, before the results were confirmed by on the water testing. The fact that one of the SAW records we set in 2004 still stands and the others lasted around 14 years is an indication that our approach had merit.

Lohring Miller

Latest posts

Back