K&B Only Class - Pipe Testing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some humor "So someone came up with a class for an engine that is no longer produced?" Rhetorical question but cool idea for a local fun-in. Might as well included the engine must be throttled by a Prather Throttle Exhaust too, to further limit the entries. Or make a class for the Sig Rossi 40 rear exhaust engine.
I could dust off the old original pre production Hawk and join in :) I do love the K&B drum engines, simplicity and strong engines. I wish someone would take up the challenge and machine and manufacture the missing parts and work with mecoa to get this 15 year lag in production going again.
I love the sport of R/C boats it's just I am so far out of the loop in today's standards to even get the correct parts to repair, or upkeep my boats that I am afraid to even run my boats. But that does sound like a cool class you guys came up with!!

Actually....Truth be known , There are probably more K&B parts laying under benches and in the bottoms of tool boxes than all other 3.5 engines combined.....all you have to do is look for them...
The class we put together was "inclusive" to any and all K&B 3.5's..... As long as it is powered by any K&B 3.5 , just build it and bring it.... That's monos , hydros , and tunnels....whatever...
Not only is it fun to bring out supposedly obsolete RC boats and motors but you can do this without maxing out a VISA card....
I have been doing this for a long long time and I have come to realize that racin' is just as much fun at 50mph as it is at 70mph and it doesn't cost $1500.00 to do it....
Now for MECOA..... I suspect there are one hell of a lot of K&B's still being enjoyed by sport boaters world wide.... notice I said enjoyed not raced.....
I am not so sure MECOA is interested in building complete K&B engines ever again....I suspect a run of drums or cranks for a K&B 3.5 inboard would not bankrupt MECOA.......
The prices for K&B parts and motors has risen considerably....big money for spare parts to keep the old sxxt running and keeping a limited availability of parts is a great business plan....Look at MECOA's product line.....It is obvious MECOA is interested in keeping old sxxt running and selling new "sport" motors of all genres not K&B RC Boat "race" motors.....That is their niche and a very smart business plan......
Instead of asking rhetorical questions like Prather exhaust throttles why don't you dust off your old HAWK and come join us.....That HAWK sure isn't doing you any good sitting because you are afraid to run it.....Prather exhaust throttle and all.....and join us.......lol...:)
Just by watching EBAY I have come up with [3] K&B inboard drum motors and the most expensive one I bought was $100.00 to my door....
When we introduced this K&B only class we were attempting to bring K&B back to racing at a reasonable price and encourage boaters like you to become re-involved in a friendly low cost class of RC boating competition at club level....
The jury is still out but the future is lookin' very bright.....

The #1 engine manufacture I love is K&B. I just bought a .18 marine engine for a boat. I know the parts are out there for the drum 3.5's problem is people know the rarity and charge an arm and a leg. Outboards on the other hand are somewhat reasonable in cost. But like I said, I am so far out of the loop I could not even get the tuned pipe for an outboard. Makes it somewhat hard to enjoy the hobby. If it wasn't for you, the little enjoyment I do have with boats would be extinct.

The Hydro's I have: Oh NO!! Can't risk damaging the wood of a little part of r/c history, get it "history". Although I do have the original templates to rebuild if the wood did get damaged but why risk damage as they are original. They are probably the only two mint condition Hawk pre production kits left out of the 12 or so kits that were circulated before production even began. They have special meaning to me, being I was at Sundown Meadows for the birds eye view of the development and had incorporated all the build tricks that the designer suggested, not to mention I got them from the designer...Well one was from gary, the other I won at a raffle. Truth be told, if I lost even the tuned pipe where would I get another mac or prather pipe at, that someone would not want 300 bucks for? I am not rich. Let alone another throttle exhaust, or an original "Tanks 2 U" tank. Bust the radio box and lose the JR Alpina PCM R/X where would I get another, yes I still have my JR Alpina radios and my yellow Sanyo 800mah batteries still hold full charge after 30 years. Simply too much to risk running my hydro's. You may not care about your Zipp Kits because you manufacture them but I am sure someone has a early version in mint condition that they won't pilot. Heck I even have one of your kits that came goofed with "Flat Plane" sponsons a while back and it is as fast as a raped ape, going straight but turns like a bulldozer. Saving it, didn't complain about like a lot of other people did wanting new sponsons, nor did I even contact you about it, or follow your instructions to fix it. It is simply a pc of R/C history and when all of the, as you called it before, "Flat Plane" hydro's are extinct from the face of the earth, I will still have one of your goofed mint condition hulls rtr with a rossi 3 port as a pc of r/c history. Like I said it goes like a raped ape down a straight but turns like bulldozer but I love it just the same, I run it every now and then.
History, Tanks 2 U has been sold and is owned by whoever now. History, show me someone else who can pull out an original 1996 Tanks 2 You certificate from the original owners. It is simply a pc of R/C history so the roots of R/C don't get forgotten. Some of us save things that others wouldn't. So our hydros are just fine where they are. :) And yes I still buy my fuel from FHS "RED MAX"
75521724_2550865695133591_2565481921219919872_o.jpg

You must not have understood my reply, I was not bashing the K&B class, I think it is a awesome idea. Actually I am looking for a K&B 3.5 drum to build a boat and was thinking next summer heading out to enjoy a day.

I am just so far out of the loop to even get parts needed, as you know from my orders I place. I am out of the loop, because when I do come on-line and ask questions about anything or where I can a certain part that might be of lesser use in today's hobby (A part I can afford or just want) and people who don't know me or dont know I been in the hobby 30 years plus, come back and reply with their opinion of what parts would work better for my application (I don't mind that as I love opinions, except when it is written in a belittlement manner), and talk to me like I am stupid or new to the hobby or something, it just irks me.
Example: One time, I asked a simple question because I forgot over time what the pipe length starting point should be, and I get talked to, like I am stupid or something. The guy started trying to explain to me how a tuned pipe works, LOL I know how a tuned pipe works I just wanted to know what a good starting point would be, not a lecture of the theories behind the tuned pipe, more or less I hate people, who try to act like they are superior or have something to prove.
Now on the other hand, when I asked you about pipe length you answered my question without going into all this other stuff, you treated me with respect and not like I was new or stupid, thanks.
People do that because they don't know someone might have exp in the hobby and just trying to help but it's how the help is offered. We know what we want and are in most cases looking for guidance and help. But trying to help someone can also look like belittlement too. So I simply don't mingle on-line. So I am out of the loop "Lane 15 buoy 6" hahaha I do enjoy the hobby albeit alone nowadays.
Anyways there is not one hobby shop in Ohio that has anything hobby grade r/c nitro boat related so buying stuff is very hard because I can't see the stuff to determine if it will fit my application or needs or not. So I been sticking with smaller stuff. No joke.

Last edited:
I apologize if you thought I was preaching....never thought for a minute you were bashing....I just wanted to explain the motives that encouraged us to bring the K&B' .21's back into the sunlight.....PS: If JAE boats do nothing else...they turn fast and hard....I have heard them called lots of things but never a bulldozer...lolol
This is how your flat plane hydro should turn.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANdB1M44X6I

Kevin,

Where in Ohio are you?

Thanks Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros
Model Machine And Precision LLC

Love this thread! Great idea! Ive still got some 3.5 I.B.s! Poor mans 20 boat! 3.5 airplane engine, red carb, water cooled head, home made header, no pressure! Ran just fine! This thing could get wet and running in less than a half hour, I think!

Attachments

• boats 08 017.jpg
    boats 08 017.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Back