K&B - Any update on production?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EatMyShortsRacing

Well as the topic says.....

Does anyone know how committed K&B are to making outboard engines??? Maybe some timelines and quantities may help. I dont think any of that first batch of 21s made it to OZ and I heard 45s were on the way but thats about it.....

EatMyShortsRacing said:
Well as the topic says.....
Does anyone know how committed K&B are to making outboard engines???  Maybe some timelines and quantities may help.  I dont think any of that first batch of 21s made it to OZ and I heard 45s were on the way but thats about it.....

105994[/snapback]

Hey Craig, How much in dollars is between the Thunder Tiger and the K&B there?

The Tiger's were $188 US until lately they have went up to $195,,and modified the Tiger's will "slay" a K&B pretty good. I"ve been testing a cut down "stock" TT head button and it's looking like there gunna work almost as well as a custom made button. I do have a machinist friend waiting to make me a bunch of low volume head button's but we're kinda waitin' to see If they (TT's) are goin' to take off as an option to some of the other more expensive brands. I have about 700 "sleeve shims" that the same friend made,, outside of those two parts the rest of the work is in the crank. light'er up and go :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Craig,

I think the O.S. 21 OB is probably better than the K&B and O.S. is going to be

around awhile. :D

With .003" head clearance they are hard to beat right out of the box.

Good Luck Shopping In OZ,

Mark Sholund

shoboat said:
Craig,
I think the O.S. 21 OB is probably better than the K&B and O.S. is going to be

around awhile. :D

With .003" head clearance they are hard to beat right out of the box.

Good Luck Shopping In OZ,

Mark Sholund

106008[/snapback]

Yeah, an O.S on a Lynx , 67%nitro and a Anderson prop,,outside of that I wonder :huh:

I'm sure that :D was for me.

I would just like to see TT keep making the motor,,maybe "they" just might see whats goin' on with they're product and "develope" them just a bit more, after all,,

They Do Have a "Chromed" sleeve in Their Engine :p

Well I must admit personally I would be looking at 7.5s and up.

But the question was based around the dying outboard classes (pretty much all of them) in Australia. My main beef with people promoting the class here would be about supply of engines and parts. No use having a nova/cmb/rossi/mac powerhead if you cant buy lower units??? So if K&B look serious about keeping up the production then maybe there could be a resurgance of outboards in OZ

(Hey Grimracer... where's my 7.5cc boat??? hehehe)

Interesting about the TT engine I have heard about a lot of them destroying the gears.... cant say whether they were in expert hands..

Oh and more interesting the change in bore/stroke of the newer 7.5cc engines... are the piston / liner / crank interchangeable between the old and new motors???

If so then you could potentially combine a new crank and an old piston/liner for a 7.78cc engine....

*where did that tech director go???*

Hey Craig, The TT gears were never a problem with me,, I've been runnin' them

since they came out with the motor,,12 years maybe,, can't be sure. The only two sets that I had a problem with were my fault,, playin' around with the "lash" and the other set a small piece if metal was injected in the gearcase along with the grease. The deal with the gears is when you get the motor new you can feel if they are "meshing" well or not. If they don't feel quite right, I use the "Orange" autobody rubbing compound, used to be made by Dupont,,put some on the gears and bolt the PTO and lower back together and use a K&B 3.5 flex shaft chucked in a electric drill and turn the gears back and forth until they get silent. Clean up the compound and you'll never hear the gears even at Max Rpm. But I do understand many boaters wouldn't know how to do, even that,, so I can see how the gears could have became a problem for some. The Tigers are like the "air cooled" VW motors,,stock they're ok,, but Modded, They are a Giant Killer.

Craig, Couldn't tell you a thing about availability, but I can tell you that the old style and the pro/semi pro powerheads are completely different, and the parts won't interchange. Should bolt up to the same lower end, though.. but I think you would have to cut the muffler off the older casting.

One thing some of you guys might not know about the pro engines... K&B may have a .48 piston/sleeve assembly available that will slip right into the Pro case.. would make a legal IMPBA E class engine...

David Homer said:
Craig, Couldn't tell you a thing about availability, but I can tell you that the old style and the pro/semi pro powerheads are completely different, and the parts won't interchange.  Should bolt up to the same lower end, though.. but I think you would have to cut the muffler off the older casting.
One thing some of you guys might not know about the pro engines... K&B may have a .48 piston/sleeve assembly available that will slip right into the Pro case.. would make a legal IMPBA E class engine...

106160[/snapback]

the .48 piston/liner I would imagine is basically the old .45 p/l . The bore and stroke have changed on the new engines (longer stroke, narrower bore).

Jerry Wyss said:
Hey Craig, The TT gears were never a problem with me,, I've been runnin' themsince they came out with the motor,,12 years maybe,, can't be sure. The only two sets that I had a problem with were my fault,, playin' around with the "lash" and the other set a small piece if metal was injected in the gearcase along with the grease. The deal with the gears is when you get the motor new you can feel if they are "meshing" well or not. If they don't feel quite right, I use the "Orange" autobody rubbing compound, used to be made by Dupont,,put some on the gears and bolt the PTO and lower back together and use a K&B 3.5 flex shaft chucked in a electric drill and turn the gears back and forth until they get silent. Clean up the compound and you'll never hear the gears even at Max Rpm. But I do understand many boaters wouldn't know how to do, even that,, so I can see how the gears could have became a problem for some. The Tigers are like the "air cooled" VW motors,,stock they're ok,, but Modded, They are a Giant Killer.

106141[/snapback]

Well I do like the idea of reducing the bend in the flex shaft.... that must be worth something for starters. Still not ready to play 3.5s though. Considering the CMB GP45 conversion....

That's kinda funny (strange and HaHa), 7.5 classes (OB) are really rare here but the 3.5 OB's Are Thick :blink:

Still not ready to play 3.5s though.

106164[/snapback]

Come on Craig, trying to bolster the numbers in 3.5 here in Oz

Gino

poolschool said:
Still not ready to play 3.5s though. 
106164[/snapback]

Come on Craig, trying to bolster the numbers in 3.5 here in Oz

Gino

106169[/snapback]

I actually do have moulds for 3.5, 7.5 and 11cc outboards....

Only have a 7.5 and 11 engine though....

And have you seen how many boats I have to manage as it is????

would have to employ a pit crew and motor home if I get any more!!!!

Hey Craig

Mate just my two bobs worth,

Not sure on K&B new engines or stocks etc but i can say ive been running both a K&B 7.5 and a 3.5 SS for the last 12mths or so and over that time have bought numerous spare parts from them.

In general most bits arrived within 10 days of ordering.

Greg

hey craig we could use all the 3.5's we can get and any chance i could get a 7.5 and 11 hull of ya in the near future later dion

dion26 said:
hey craig we could use all the 3.5's we can get and any chance i could get a 7.5 and 11 hull of ya in the near future later dion
106175[/snapback]

No problems with the hulls :) Just gotta get off my @$$ and do something with them...

Craig

Latest posts

Back