K&B 67

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larcor69

Supporting Member
I just accuried a new never ran K&B 67 early 2005ish manufacturing time frame.. is there any hope for this to race a scale hull or should I write it of to a cmb or something??

I ran K&B's for several years and with a lot of mods they will run pretty good. The bad thing is part quality. I had the cast piston skirt come apart also pulled the wrist pin out of the piston. Broke the crank pins off and several rods. The latest rod that K&B makes is pretty good. Once I changed all my motors to the new rod, I quit breaking them. I believe most of the problems in their motors are due to the case being too thin and it flexes under heavy use. I would check the rod before you run it and replace it if it isn't the latest one. The round rods are guaranteed to break. Here is a ebay like to their newest rod: http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-B-67-82-91-1-00-CONNECTING-ROD-NEW-PRODUCTION-NIP-Made-in-USA-/281012099078?pt=US_Character_Radio_Control_Toys&hash=item416da05806

maybe theres hope, what other things should be done other than a good rod? I know these engines run good rev's but lack a mid and low range but I like driving wfo anyways but helps if you have to mill prior to the clock?

Those motors have very low timing numbers. I don't remember what I set the intake timing at but the exhaust was 184. If your motor is a disk rotor version you need to make sure the disk and the housing is very flat and set the clearance to .001 otherwise it won't seal good.

Change the rod and run it till something better comes along, Might as well get some practise time on the hull and some tuning till you get another motor, AA 67 might be out next spring?

corey, contact gary or david preusse for a keeley head. that's who terry sent me to when i was looking for one for a 3.5. david preusse/cd machine at 847-526-4694, if he doesn't have them, he can hook you up with his father/gary. yes, they do make a differance B) .........

Last edited by a moderator:
Rod Geraghty knows a BUNCH about these engines...he is on here from time to time. I was supposed to send him one of mine but never got around to it...great guy to talk about the good, the bad, and the ugly about the .67 Kabooms, and how to make them work!

Hate to say it, but for what it would cost to develop, and make it, youd probably end up better off with an up to date motor, unless you could find someone who would do it CHEAP!

Those days are over , it cannot compete . Not a bad engine and you can have lots of fun with it but you cannot win with it against a Green head CMB tht is set up right . IMHO .

to bad someone couldnt make a nice billit case for these?
If you are going to run it get a Octura mount then mount the mount with rubber grommets.

This mount acts like a girdle to help with the case being light.

David

Good idea Dave I seen some saying they have a CNC in there garage, maybe just have him play with it just to see if it could be done ?? then sell the cad plans back to mecoa for a few 1000's and maybe K&B could be back?..lmao

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a old school idea that has bin done by many to help the thin cases on K&B's.

David

Back