K&B 3.5 Outboard Set Screw

Help Support intlwaters.com:

1olddog

Anybody know what size allen wrench the set screw on the drive dog on a K&B 3.5 cc outboard takes ? I looked on Mecoa's site but found no info about it.

BrianTooms

I just checked one I have here and it looks like it's a pressed in roll pin. You should be able to tap it out. But it comes as one assembly. Is the dog worn out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BrianTooms

Thanks Brad I had to get a magnifying glass lol.

brad nichols

They are small!! I don't have a pin punch that will work. Piano wire I guess? There is a good deal on a Kep's 4SL boat in the for sale sec.

Brad

BrianTooms

Nice boat but I don't know about that builder lol.

1olddog

I just checked one I have here and it looks like it's a pressed in roll pin. You should be able to tap it out. But it comes as one assembly. Is the dog worn out?

I didn't have a small enough punch so I used a small allen wrench and tapped it out. The unit had a lot of wobble in it and I thought I might be able to put a brass sleeve in it to take the wobble out.This little prop shaft assemblies are costly so I thought I might be able to rebuild it.

LohringMiller

I suggest replacing it with a Hyperformance unit. They are much more durable. I have rebuilt both 3.5 and 7.5 K&B shaft assemblies using K&B bushings. My attempts with bronze bushings didn't work as well. Even so. the rebuilt K&B units develop play very quickly.

Lohring Miller

Alan Elzer

Anybody know what size allen wrench the set screw on the drive dog on a K&B 3.5 cc outboard takes ? I looked on Mecoa's site but found no info about it.
3/32
Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1olddog

Thanks everyone for the replies. I sold a K&B 3.5 cut for an electric conversion to a guy and gave him this prop shaft assembly in case he wants to try to fix it.