• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

JVS - Wanted: any vintage JVS hulls.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toadstoys5

Supporting Member
I collect the old JVS hulls aka: Jeff and Vern Schmidt R/C boat hulls. These boats were built primarily back in the mid 70's to late 80's. They were built out of Hemet and Fountain Valley, CA at least when I was last aware. Vern always had a JVS ad in the RC Boat section of Flying Models magazine back in the day too. I had purchased several back then and regretfully got rid of them only to be on this quest to find all I can of these boats for the past 20+ years. The JVS hulls were primarily known for their unique metal-flake gel-coat finishes with hardwood engine rails etc. Jeff and Vern built many versions of the boats across the entire spectrum of shapes and sizes.

If you've got a JVS hull or you think you've got one and you're interested in parting with it please lmk, I'm a buyer.
Probably the most memorable of the JVS lineup was the famed Claim Jumper hydros.

Tom Schaeffer 816-536-3703 [email protected]

Have a great day!

I ran JVS monos back in the early to mid 70’s. I sold them all in about 1977 to raise my family. Then I got back into boating in 2002.

probably my very first serious RC boat, a JVS .20 mono (actually at the time it would have been powered by popular .19ci engines. I used Veco .19).

Hobby Shack sold JVS hulls almost exclusively. I believe Vern (and his brother Jern) were full-size boat builders

Attachments

• JVS_20Mono_eBay-matthemccoi0_Aug2017_04.jpg
    JVS_20Mono_eBay-matthemccoi0_Aug2017_04.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 129
I ran boats with Vern back in the early 70s. He lived in Costa Mesa back then and had a shop right down the street from Coastal Recreation where I worked.At the time he was developing some of his hulls. I would go to his shop quite a bit after work. He would shape a hull out of foam and lightly glass it, rig it and try it out. If it did not perform, it went right into the trash.
At the time his shop was doing fiberglass repair on race cars. He and his son Jeff used to build bobsleds, he had a few old ones at the shop. Many years later, when I moved to Alabama, he sent me a few hulls, mainly SlickTricks and offshore monos. I sold a few to Scott Jones from Milwaukee. He may still have them.

I ran boats with Vern back in the early 70s. He lived in Costa Mesa back then and had a shop right down the street from Coastal Recreation where I worked.At the time he was developing some of his hulls. I would go to his shop quite a bit after work. He would shape a hull out of foam and lightly glass it, rig it and try it out. If it did not perform, it went right into the trash.
At the time his shop was doing fiberglass repair on race cars. He and his son Jeff used to build bobsleds, he had a few old ones at the shop. Many years later, when I moved to Alabama, he sent me a few hulls, mainly SlickTricks and offshore monos. I sold a few to Scott Jones from Milwaukee. He may still have them.

I collect the old JVS hulls aka: Jeff and Vern Schmidt R/C boat hulls. These boats were built primarily back in the mid 70's to late 80's. They were built out of Hemet and Fountain Valley, CA at least when I was last aware. Vern always had a JVS ad in the RC Boat section of Flying Models magazine back in the day too. I had purchased several back then and regretfully got rid of them only to be on this quest to find all I can of these boats for the past 20+ years. The JVS hulls were primarily known for their unique metal-flake gel-coat finishes with hardwood engine rails etc. Jeff and Vern built many versions of the boats across the entire spectrum of shapes and sizes.

If you've got a JVS hull or you think you've got one and you're interested in parting with it please lmk, I'm a buyer.
Probably the most memorable of the JVS lineup was the famed Claim Jumper hydros.

Tom Schaeffer 816-536-3703 [email protected]

Have a great day!
I have A trophy 20 that never been set up and still has the set instructions. I'm not wanting to let go of it because I had one like it back in the 1970s the I ran in club races. I didn't know anyone still had any, I would like yo see your collection sometime. I had a 60 claim jumper also that was one of Vern's personal boats. Wish I still had all of my old boats that I no langer have. this picture is the claim jumper when I Was raceing at Indianapolis in 1981

Attachments

• JVS Claim Jumper 60.jpg
    JVS Claim Jumper 60.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 129
Back