JAE21 Front exhaust header options

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaceMechaniX

Supporting Member
Hey guys,
Looking for recommendations on 180 headers for a Nova front exhaust motor in a JAE. The header Ron Shaw has is a tight wrap header which barely gets the pipe out of the tub.
Anyone have a header recommendation with a wider offset to engine to get the pipe further away?
PS I have looked at the 1/8 scale buggy headers but most have the o-ring style flange to secure the pipe and I am looking for a smooth bore to use a standard silicone cuff.
Pics below of references.

Thx,
-Tyler

B%20Hydro.jpgpipe%20pic%20on%20rigger.jpgIMG_2469.JPG

We typically heat them up and bend them up or down and out to get everything aligned. Just use a wooden dowel the same size as the I'd. Be careful because you can oblong the opening if not careful.

Dave

We typically heat them up and bend them up or down and out to get everything aligned. Just use a wooden dowel the same size as the I'd. Be careful because you can oblong the opening if not careful.

Dave
I use a wood dowel the same size as the id of the exhaust header and heat it up to just before it gets red and with the pipe in the vise pull and with the wood dowel in the exhaust pull it to bring back the curve that you need. BE CAREFUL that you don't go to far .
Make a cardboard pattern so you know just how much to pull it out
Walt Barney

Hey Tyler, I hope you and your family are doing good! I got this idea from one of Glen Quorles builds, and thought it was an interesting outside the box idea. Mount the pipe pointing forward using a straight header and deflect the stinger to the side (or Car pipe). I know it would involve a lot of cowl rework, but sure looks cool!!

Cheers,
Will

Hey Will,
Thanks for the idea. I have seen the twin .12 Glenn built with the pipes pointing forward. Will have to see how weird it looks on the 21.
Otherwise we are doing just fine in Asheville, but sure miss running boats.

-Tyler

I have one that is 1/2 inch wider. Not sure where I got it. If that works you can have it plus shipping. I think its a car header.

Attachments

• 15957115123823093406547038394535.jpg
    15957115123823093406547038394535.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
Thanks all for the replies. I bought one of the Zipp Kits 21 headers which is pretty wide, I'll give that a shot. In the mean time I connected an old 1/8 scale buggy pipe. I just bent a simple wire pipe support bracket after taking the pics.

IMG_3934.JPGIMG_3936.JPG

Hi Tyler,
wy not straight forward , no 180degree turn easy to adjust and a streamline cover is easy made. And the exhaust outlet on the right will counter very little the propwalk.

Attachments

• 2897C335-FEE2-4C15-A9B8-E3D5A28292C7.png
    2897C335-FEE2-4C15-A9B8-E3D5A28292C7.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 40
Christian,
Mostly due to the header connection type. The 180 car pipes have this nice coupling system which will not burn out like a normal silicon cuff. If I could get this in a straight configuration I would try it.

For now I just need to get to a lake and test.

Tyler,

I believe the CMB headers telescope into the CMB pipes. No more burnt out header couplings.

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros
Model Machine and Precision LLC

Dig around amain hobbies. I have some awesome couplers from header to pipe that wrap around

Back