JAE 67/84 build up

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not **** canning the old boat and will still run it along with the new boat on the same day back to back.
This boat turns killer and is very quick around the circuit.
BUT it will NEVER heat race..........
Want to leave this boat as built and make a new mule to test with.
It will be made out of Ocume 1088 1/4" and will not have the over lay on it.
Down and dirty and LIGHT.
Andy is sending me 2 sets of rear wings and shoes for this build.
I will use my new sponson set up on the front and the same tub lay out just moving the front tank bulkhead back some and the same boom spread.
It will have re-curve in the back (blow out) and a stream line strut set up I use along with the Eagle wiglets and shoes.
I want it to be a simple build up to cut down on build time.
Not reinventing the wheel just putting some new tread on it......LOL

I am not **** canning the old boat and will still run it along with the new boat on the same day back to back.
This boat turns killer and is very quick around the circuit.
BUT it will NEVER heat race..........
Want to leave this boat as built and make a new mule to test with.
It will be made out of Ocume 1088 1/4" and will not have the over lay on it.
Down and dirty and LIGHT.
Andy is sending me 2 sets of rear wings and shoes for this build.
I will use my new sponson set up on the front and the same tub lay out just moving the front tank bulkhead back some and the same boom spread.
It will have re-curve in the back (blow out) and a stream line strut set up I use along with the Eagle wiglets and shoes.
I want it to be a simple build up to cut down on build time.
Not reinventing the wheel just putting some new tread on it......LOL

Sounds good.

But what if the same style of rudder causes the new boat to hop as well?

Then you'll have two boats that hop. :rolleyes:

Sounds good.

But what if the same style of rudder causes the new boat to hop as well?

Then you'll have two boats that hop. :rolleyes:

It is not the rudder making it trip over its own wake in the corners.
It dose not hop running on smooth water or on the straits.
And it is not a hop more than a stabbing in the front.
If it hoped all the time ya then it is a set up problem.

It is not the rudder making it trip over its own wake in the corners.
It dose not hop running on smooth water or on the straits.
And it is not a hop more than a stabbing in the front.
If it hoped all the time ya then it is a set up problem.

OK, sounds like you got it all figured out. If this is any indication tho it's sure anything BUT smooth IMHO:

Good luck...

Last edited:
Well its is that time again. Here goes nothing.
1602031933227.png
I give you the Zeagle.
BS1088 Okoume 1/4 ply wood for this build and no CF over lay.
Want to make boat as light as I can this time.
Also have to thank Andy Brown for the parts on the rear end.
Will also use B&B hard wear on the back end this time.
Now what kind of nose job should I give it ........HUUUUMMMMM........🤨

1602102582259.png
OK the lay out is done and all the holes drilled.
Added one more bulkhead up front to support the boom tube and one to shorten the tank bay.
The front tube will be solid mount and I will make 2 custom adjustable blocks for the back tube.
Also have some nice recurve in the back. It is set to let the rear sponsons sit .100 off the table with the tub top level.
The top of the tub is flat from front to back. The bottom is also flat except in the back for the recurve.
The nose is a short rounded nose no flats and no point.
The sponsons will be even with the front of the tub.
This will take some weight off the front and change the aero pressure point on the front end.
The after plain on this boat will also be shorter with the same over all tub size.
It should be a hot rod.
The big question is how will handle race water??????????????

Well that was way easer than I ever thought. First time using CA for the build. Got the little squeezy bulb applicators and some kicker. Will never go back to epoxy for the build up. The Okoume sucks up the CA like a sponge.
1602284945872.png
1602284972108.png
1602285000029.png

Attachments

• 1602284944894.png
    1602284944894.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
It will have all the bulk heads pined with dowels and a good seal coat of epoxy to soak in and seal it all.
It is a test mule down and dirty for this one.

Well that was way easer than I ever thought. First time using CA for the build. Got the little squeezy bulb applicators and some kicker. Will never go back to epoxy for the build up. The Okoume sucks up the CA like a sponge.
View attachment 284152
View attachment 284154
View attachment 284155
I build my hulls with CA. Never a failure. I’ve heard people (not on this thread ) who have never built a boat from scratch , down CA built boats . People talk about nitro eating CA, but you coat the engine bay with epoxy anyway and I’ve never had any get in there to attack CA. Glue tests show you destroy the wood but the glue joint doesn’t fail. If you put the right amount and barely dust it with kicker. I had a twin Hull that I put 6 different sets of front sponsons on , the hull was 12 years old get hit while upside down in January. A turnfin busted the wood open on the radio box right behind the engine bulkhead but the bulkhead glue joint stayed glued. Jeff Lutz

I did a test joint with 2 pieces of the 1/4 Okoume and it broke the wood not the joint.
This being my first time I did the set up on my glass table with nothing under it. Figured it would just pop off the glass like epoxy.
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hit the side of tub with my rubber mallet and it pulled up chunks from the glass.
Had to use a small hammer to break up the glass stuck to the tub........LOL
WOW blew my mind.........
Tub did not even give a flying..........
1602347854042.png

Last edited:
1602367927180.png
1602367946484.png
Boom tube clamps made.
Will bolt it straight threw the tub like a normal set up with shims under the blocks.
Then use the round clamps on the out side of the tub to take up the side load.

Bob Smith Industries makes a rubberized CA that is very good for building boats not only with wood but also carbon fiber.
It bonds extremely well and does not get brittle over time like some of the other CA glues. It is slightly flexible to help it work with stress flexing and vibration.
Just scuff the CF with sand paper and clean the mold release off and it sticks very well. It will actually delaminate the CF before it will come alose.

Charles

Last edited:
Bob Smith Industries makes a rubberized CA that is very good for building boats not only with wood but also carbon fiber.
It bonds extremely well and does not get brittle over time like some of the other CA glues. It is slightly flexible to help it work with stress flexing and vibration.
Just scuff the CF with sand paper and clean the mold release off and it sticks very well. It will actually delaminate the CF before it will come alose.

Charles
If you are racing a lot in 6 boat heats , the last thing you need to worry about is the CA being brittle.

Latest posts

Back