JAE .45 twin for FE?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill,
I have a JAE 45 that I electrified (Q) single motor. I have been testing two RR's FE twin and single. In my opinion the JAE 45 will not make a very good twin. The tub isn't wide enough for parallel motors so you would have to stagger them to make them fit. The next issue is space for batteries. Again the narrow tub does not have space for 2-4 batteries needed for a twin. Then comes the cost of ESC's. I ran SK 180's but would not go bigger than 40X82mm motors. The pair of 40X92 I have needs 250 amp controllers.
Back to my single JAE. IMO the ski is too wide and the boat swaps ends frequently. It would need a lot of messing with sponson and ski widths plus layout of power to make it work. The RR goes 80 plus straight and turns on rails. I would actually try a ML 380 FE but again there are some easy changes I would make there. I just can't help myself modifying things.
Mic

Bill,
I have a JAE 45 that I electrified (Q) single motor. I have been testing two RR's FE twin and single. In my opinion the JAE 45 will not make a very good twin. The tub isn't wide enough for parallel motors so you would have to stagger them to make them fit. The next issue is space for batteries. Again the narrow tub does not have space for 2-4 batteries needed for a twin. Then comes the cost of ESC's. I ran SK 180's but would not go bigger than 40X82mm motors. The pair of 40X92 I have needs 250 amp controllers.
Back to my single JAE. IMO the ski is too wide and the boat swaps ends frequently. It would need a lot of messing with sponson and ski widths plus layout of power to make it work. The RR goes 80 plus straight and turns on rails. I would actually try a ML 380 FE but again there are some easy changes I would make there. I just can't help myself modifying things.
Mic
Thanks Mic, I Always value your experience and advice/ opinion!

Don Ferrette built a nice JAE twin FE with P-Ltd motors which I believe ran decently. The key being limited motors over higher power P motors.
I am not sure if the kit was modified or stock from Zipp, but looking at the pics I suspect a fair amount customization happened. Best to reach out to Don.

I would agree with Mic that the tub is pretty tight and the boat will be heavy as a twin FE compared to a twin nitro so it may run wet.
Yet, if you want to build it go with smaller motors and keep it light.

Attachments

• JAEtwinFE1.jpg
    JAEtwinFE1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 70
  • JAEtwinFE2.jpg
    JAEtwinFE2.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 66
  • JAEtwinFE3.jpg
    JAEtwinFE3.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 67
  • JAEtwinFE4.jpg
    JAEtwinFE4.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 68
  • JAEtwinFE5.jpg
    JAEtwinFE5.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 66
  • JAEtwinFE6.jpg
    JAEtwinFE6.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 64
I have the boat now. I guess that I have had it for about three years. I did upgrade the motors and controllers. It runs great. It doesn't run wet. Just limited on space. Still looks like in the pictures. It doesn't get much use anymore.

Back