JAE 45 ski mods

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my new ski from Zipkits this week. Thanks Joe your customer service is outstanding! My old ski AOA was about 2.8 and the new one is about 2.0 according to my measurements with an electronic level. As you can see from the photographs of the original ski that came with the kit I bought a couple months ago vs the replacement ski, there is a height difference as well as an angle difference. Since it was different I thought I should ask what the attitude of the tub should be when the boat is placed on a flat surface with the sponsons and ski attached?

ski3.jpgski2.jpgski1.jpg

Hello Greg, The tub should be flat or parallel when sitting on the 3 riding surfaces. You do not want the tub looking "down hill". Its OK if the tub is looking slightly "up hill" but no more than 1/16".

David

Does this mod to the ski also concern the first design (the 2010 edition) of the JAE45?
Paul, Yes it should help if yours is having a problem staying hooked up on the straights. The first 45 boat was designed with a 3 degree ski. The prototype 45 had a 3 degree ski and it was heat racing at 85 mph with an 1860 octura. The biggest problem with the first 45 was it was about 3 seconds faster than the driver, when that boat was headed down the back straight I was still at buoy 2, LOL. If your boat is staying hooked up in the straights I wouldn't change it.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
So while you guys are talking about the ski what is this im hearing about the outside sponson catching and flipping the JAEs at high

speeds . Every one that are doing 85+ are having this problem it seems are we going to angle the Skis also . Im looking at a 101

single JAE and the outside sponson is going to be rounded or beviled like the eagles crapshooter and others . So whats up sounds like the next step also thanks Charlie

So while you guys are talking about the ski what is this im hearing about the outside sponson catching and flipping the JAEs at high

speeds . Every one that are doing 85+ are having this problem it seems are we going to angle the Skis also . Im looking at a 101

single JAE and the outside sponson is going to be rounded or beviled like the eagles crapshooter and others . So whats up sounds like the next step also thanks Charlie
I would not change ANYTHING without talking directly to the people that build the JAE...they are very easy to talk to and will walk you through any problem you may have. If the boat that is doing 85+ is catching and flipping,sounds like you might want to get a David Prusse turn fin. I have them on all my JAE's...they work great in chop,even with gas boats that run at our pond. Hope you try giving them a call.

If the boat is tripping......the turn fin isn't holding. I know Martin is running well over 90 with his 45 boat and has no issues. Check on your turn fin.

Back