JAE 45 ski mods

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any one have any problems with there jae 45 hopping in the strights. I run 1657 from Mark Sholund boat is fast but hops in the strights. Motor is set back as far as i can also. Is there any ski mods to be done to help this. Any help would be great.

boats 070.jpg

Butch,

Too much lift in your prop. Personally, I would play around with the prop before you start modifying the ski. No reason to reduce ski area or angle to fix what you can correct with the prop. A lot of combined effort created that boat so check for updates before you start cutting. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try working just the tip of your prop( just a slight bend on both tips) that worked on my .67 .it was doing the same thing now it's fine

Short answer is yes. I just recently realized that the kit boat had a ski angle that was nearly 3 degrees. I used to run 2 degrees on my ski but have had better luck with even less angle. Zippkits is aware of this ,and joe is planning on ,or may have already made some new ones for his kits.

Had the same reply from Joe very recently on the gas rigger design too...He did offer to send out the modded ski design (great product support) so its worth a call/mail.

The ski on the jae is close to 3.6 adj to 1.5 that should fix the problem

Guys this is something that slipped through the cracks. The good thing is that it is an easy fix, and joe will make it right as he has always done with his kits/customer service. It is also something that most wont notice until they start going fast and hone in on the engine/pipe/prop setup. There are a ton of CHEAP kits winning races and setting records but everything can be made better ,and i can guarantee if and when we find something better you will know about it.

If people want to bash something that was designed to get people building ,and get more people involved in our great hobby well...good luck to them. Have fun an go fast!

I read this the other day on another Forum.......

"The only way I can take anymore lift out of this prop is to cut off the blades."

LOL

Another thing. You need to make sure your strut is as low as possible to the back of the ski. I lowered mine even more at the end of the season and it seemed to pick up more speed. The stut now is laying right on the back edge of the ski. Before it was slightly above. This is a .21 JAE, but the same principles apply.

Rodney thanks I did check both my hulls 21 and gas and I am at 1.9 and 2.0 on the boats so I am right were I should be. Jerry ,leaving well enough alone and not reading into this any further.

This only affects the JAE 45 (plans and short kit) as well as the JAE Gas kit.

All other JAE plans and kits are correct.

You should always have the strut as low as possible.

We will ship replacement parts free of charge to anyone that bought our 45 and gas kits.

As long as you bought it from Zippkits or an authorized dealer, contact us for free updated parts.

Note that we have to limit this to the US only.

Joe

I have found that a more narrow ski will reduce also. On my boats a little less width helps the prop stay hooked up in rougher water. I am running / building about 2 deg angle on mine.

Back