JAE 21 Rudder Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayP

I am doing the final assembly of my JAE 21 and I have a few questions. I have attached an image of the rudder I got from ZippKits and I am wondering if you leave the bottom of the leading edge rounded or should I square it off before sharpening? As it sits now, the rudder is about 1 5/8”-1 3/4” below the bottom of the ski. Is the rudder too deep to start with?

On a separate subject, are you guys running the boat with 1/8” toe in on the right sponson or run it square and true? I know there are a lot of factors including building a straight hull, just wondering if the majority of you have incorporated toe in? I have the older G2 boat and it is built straight and true.

thanks for the help,

Jason

94155FBD-C656-4AAD-9D59-4D3CD33774FA.jpeg

Leave it how it is and round the bottom of the rudder.  Also make sure the leading edge is sharp.

A longer rudder helps to hold the boat down the straights.  

I am not questioning the designers at all, I am just wondering why not use boom collars instead of drilling and bolting the sponsons on the tubes? Wouldn’t it allow for quicker boom changes, toe in adjustments, etc.? Just curious.

That's what I did with my JAE 12. I cut 2 relief  slits in the brass inserts on the sponson tubes and then use clamps out at the sponsons. Works great for me and has never slipped. But it is a 12 not a 21 so I cannot say whether the bigger boats will hold the sponsons tight.

My .12 is the same way, that is why I am asking about the .21. You may be right, maybe it has something to do with speed and slippage.

Back