JAE 21 outboard SAW Rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Mark,

Yes, it is a canard design and is a legal hull for the outboard hydro record. The stability and aerodynamics of this model don't just look cool, this boat is actually stable. It is a little launch sensitive but if thrown right it comes right up.  I am working on a larger version of this sane design for the NovaRossi 46 outboard. I believe that the NR-46 may be the first outboard to break the 100mph mark using this type of hull. I thought I would do my testing with the 3.5cc first. I have a few other designs that are more radical than this...but not enough time to do everything.

What props it likes best are kind of on the down-low right now as it hasn't been put on the beams yet.  The 1745-3 worked on the Lynx/Hydro but didn't get me the speed I was looking for with this model.  The most surprising thing about the first test run was how well it actually turned without a turn fin.

You have my email.

-Carl

In 2008 we used 160 hp peak on our electric outboard hydro.  Today using junk electric car parts I would expect close to 1000 hp should be available for kilo runs.  That's more than the current recorder, Bob Wartinger, had available.

Lohring Miller
When I was trying to get twisted back I looked into available electric power and there are several high performance shops building drag cars and straight line cars and there is over 4000 available HP by linking a 2 to 4 engines and depending on amount of battery pack.

As far as I know the only hull not legal for a hydro record is a true mono. In short, the rule book states that any hull with air lifting capabilities as well as any hull with multiple ride surfaces is a hydro. Mic can correct on this if needed but I think he used a tunnel to go after a hydro record at Huntsville. But, you can't use a multi point boat (hydro) to go for a tunnel record.

Mark,

Jay has the 1/4 oval B OB Hydro record and Jerry Crowther the 1/3rd oval C OB Hydro record with a JAE I modified in length. Mitch JR and Brando Atwell have the 1/4 oval D & F record with Carl's tunnels. One was Adderly's "Bermuda Bullet". 

Mic

P.S. Cool looking boat Carl, love to see it run.

Thanks guys. It's strictly a SAW model. It turns around fairly good but not good enough to challenge any of the 2-lap records. The NR-46 version of it should be a blast. The thig that makes it kind of launch sensitive is the height of the carbon rod that runs through the tub at the transom. The next one I build will have the rod much higher.

Last edited by a moderator:
100 mph will some day be reached by an outboard. The 46 size model should have no problem reaching 100mph with some tinkering.  Having the weight of the engine on the rear of the boat and the sponsons on the front as conventional riggers do makes the outboard rigger hydro a nightmare to deal with once you get it really rolling. The rigger design is great for an inboard but when you shift that much weight past the transom it becomes one huge compromise.

For years I have felt like the typical canard designs were not taking full advantage of their potential and even though they look cool they have their issues too. It is just something to play with. So far i am very happy with this project.

I have a new Nova Rossi 46 power head coming to put on the 7.5cc version.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The rear wing to lift the outboard was the basis of Mike's design.  The wing was a little big to start, but a width trim fixed this.  Stability with the forward sponsons was never a problem.  Another approach would be a twin wing design.  This might actually fit the tunnel rule.  You need to play with wing width, thickness, and angle of attack to deal with a rearward CG.  The design pictured has a forward CG.  Twin wings are very stable when close to the surface.

Lohring Miller

TAF_8-1.jpg

TAF_8-1small.jpg

Hi Carl,

thanks for sharing this canard beauty. Wish all go and no turtels. 

About propeller i cut from the trailing edge and give by bending the blade a slitly higher pitch. On original 17XX cupping helps also to rise topspeed when i run them on high nitro K&B . The golden on the left is a 1750 with cupping i run on a 21 K&B ,the outbord motor tunr around inside a small rigger with very high nitro.

Lohring , some thoughts about tandem wing use on the straight away

Happy Amps Christian

3F9858C9-2246-4D35-9669-6CC1370A103D.jpeg

09C2F38A-0123-4CEF-8280-FA0C31697DFA.jpeg

I have made some slight modifications to the model since this picture was taken but the position and size of the wing came in just right and just as pictured as the nose ski just kisses the water every 35 to 40 feet now at speed. I haven't tested it in a large enough body of water to allow the engine to completely peak yet. We bought a new little Honda 4 stroke retrieve boat engine so that we can get it into a larger pond so I can stay in it without worrying about a sudden dry docking situation. LOL  

Hi Carl,

thanks for sharing this canard beauty. Wish all go and no turtels. 

About propeller i cut from the trailing edge and give by bending the blade a slitly higher pitch. On original 17XX cupping helps also to rise topspeed when i run them on high nitro K&B . The golden on the left is a 1750 with cupping i run on a 21 K&B ,the outbord motor tunr around inside a small rigger with very high nitro.

Lohring , some thoughts about tandem wing use on the straight away

Happy Amps Christian

View attachment 100167

View attachment 100168
Christian, that looks supersonic.  I would be happy at 100 mph.

Lohring Miller

100 mph will some day be reached by an outboard. The 46 size model should have no problem reaching 100mph with some tinkering.  Having the weight of the engine on the rear of the boat and the sponsons on the front as conventional riggers do makes the outboard rigger hydro a nightmare to deal with once you get it really rolling. The rigger design is great for an inboard but when you shift that much weight past the transom it becomes one huge compromise.

For years I have felt like the typical canard designs were not taking full advantage of their potential and even though they look cool they have their issues too. It is just something to play with. So far i am very happy with this project.

I have a new Nova Rossi 46 power head coming to put on the 7.5cc version.  
New 46 OB on the way Carl. Keep us updated on your progress!!!! Should be a fun project for sure!!! Good luck. 

View attachment 99988[/QUOTE]
65 mph should be very possible. I held the IMPBA record in that class at 70+ with a box stock (NAMBA LEGAL) water cooled O/S for years. A piped engine should see mid 70's. I was turning the Octura 1745-3 pitched up a tweak. I chopped up an old Lynx I had laying around to make my passes with. My fastest pass was 72 but wasn't able to put an good down wind pass with that number and had to wait until the wind settled to get the numbers that booked the record.

Bill, I still have that prop a a couple more than I ran on my outboard Lynx Hydro and if you have that boat when I come to Huntsville I would be glad to let you try them.

-Carl

Hi Carl, I was very impressed by your beautiful Hydro Tunnel Link, congratulations. I would be very pleased and interested to see more photos of this boat. Thank you - Giuseppe - Italy

65 mph should be very possible. I held the IMPBA record in that class at 70+ with a box stock (NAMBA LEGAL) water cooled O/S for years. A piped engine should see mid 70's. I was turning the Octura 1745-3 pitched up a tweak. I chopped up an old Lynx I had laying around to make my passes with. My fastest pass was 72 but wasn't able to put an good down wind pass with that number and had to wait until the wind settled to get the numbers that booked the record.

Bill, I still have that prop a a couple more than I ran on my outboard Lynx Hydro and if you have that boat when I come to Huntsville I would be glad to let you try them.

-Carl

-Carl

Hi Carl, I was very impressed by your beautiful Hydro Tunnel Link, congratulations. I would be very pleased and interested to see more photos of this boat. Thank you - Giuseppe - Italy

When I was trying to get twisted back I looked into available electric power and there are several high performance shops building drag cars and straight line cars and there is over 4000 available HP by linking a 2 to 4 engines and depending on amount of battery pack.

Back