JAE 21 outboard SAW Rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzubee

Supporting Member
Got this boat a year or so mostly built but changed a few things to run it strictly for SAW runs.  Had one of John's old pipes and decided to use it only thing left is to set up the fuel system and figure out what props will work on it.  Notor is locked and using a knife blade rudder. 

2192019.jpg

02192019.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The NAMBA 3.5 outboard hydro record is 81+ mph set by Mike Bontoft with the boat below.  It's a true outboard steered by moving the motor.

Lohring Miller

OB hydro.JPG

P1010007.JPG

65 mph should be very possible. I held the IMPBA record in that class at 70+ with a box stock (NAMBA LEGAL) water cooled O/S for years. A piped engine should see mid 70's. I was turning the Octura 1745-3 pitched up a tweak. I chopped up an old Lynx I had laying around to make my passes with. My fastest pass was 72 but wasn't able to put an good down wind pass with that number and had to wait until the wind settled to get the numbers that booked the record.

Bill, I still have that prop a a couple more than I ran on my outboard Lynx Hydro and if you have that boat when I come to Huntsville I would be glad to let you try them.

-Carl

Lynx Hydro 08 SAW WRH.JPG

David Hall holds this record at 76.55mph with a JAE hydro. MT said he could make it go 80-90. May have to wipe the dust off of this one.

I think that mid 80's would be a reasonable expectation. 90? Humm... that's going to be a strong 3.5cc outboard time right there. If anyone can build an engine that can hit 90mph with an outboard you are right it would be Martin. I have a straight line outboard hydro to try but I'm not sure it can hang with a 90mph pass.

-Carl

Too bad.  Your model building experience really helped fast drag boats as well.  A couple of my friends are running a rigger style 5 liter.  It's too bad Mike Bontoft is in England.  I'm sure he would be interested in pushing the limits with one of your boats.  Bob Wartinger still holds the outboard speed record.  He would have a lot to offer as well.  His props added around 20 mph to our 98+ mph electric outboard hydro.  These days we probably could beat his record with an electric powered outboard and one of your boats.

Lohring Miller

Too bad.  Your model building experience really helped fast drag boats as well.  A couple of my friends are running a rigger style 5 liter.  It's too bad Mike Bontoft is in England.  I'm sure he would be interested in pushing the limits with one of your boats.  Bob Wartinger still holds the outboard speed record.  He would have a lot to offer as well.  His props added around 20 mph to our 98+ mph electric outboard hydro.  These days we probably could beat his record with an electric powered outboard and one of your boats.

Lohring Miller
Don't want to hijack the thread but you may mean this 5ltr, Started out with potential but I think it was never given a chance with a decent motor before it was changed but you can't control what guys do to your builds once they leave the shop.

12094979_10206209424929556_565464484306127491_o.jpg

11865230_10205887392718952_322695171824887573_o.jpg

5ltr 012.JPG

5ltr 020.JPG

5ltr 017.JPG

If that was a superior design in life size race boats then that is what everyone would be using. It has been proven time and time again that outrigger hydros don't work well in full scale because you can't put enough horsepower in them to make them work right especially going around turns. The only reason they are now being used in drag boat racing is the fact that they now have 8000 horsepower to work with. I have been around race boats my whole life and built RC boats and have now worked in aerospace for the last 11 years. The horsepower it would take to make the "Twisted" hydro break the current outboard record is not achievable in an outboard. If you look at the boat that holds the outboard record, it is a beautiful work of aerodynamic streamlining. The boat was prop riding with the after plane free of the water.

Not sure it would float the engine above water if it shut off but who cares! Made to go fast in a straight line. Going outside the box is always fun.

In 2008 we used 160 hp peak on our electric outboard hydro.  Today using junk electric car parts I would expect close to 1000 hp should be available for kilo runs.  That's more than the current recorder, Bob Wartinger, had available.

Lohring Miller

Carl,

What are you going to put on the output shaft of that Novarossi?

Maybe an ABC 1817-23-50%/3 it has just a little more pitch than your Octura 1745/3.

Will that be considered a outboard canard hydro? IMPBA?

Looks Nice,

Mark Sholund

Back