Jae 12

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck st romain

Just gathering information.

In your opinion, what's the best motor for the Jae 12. I'm a little partial to NR but am not afraid to go a different route. Just a pond pounder so I don't play by the rules, meaning anything goes, 15, 18, 21, air cooled, water cooled. Let's hear your opinions

Just gathering information.

In your opinion, what's the best motor for the Jae 12. I'm a little partial to NR but am not afraid to go a different route. Just a pond pounder so I don't play by the rules, meaning anything goes, 15, 18, 21, air cooled, water cooled. Let's hear your opinions
The NovaRossi .12LT-3M or -5M will be your best bet .....I have seen absolutely no performance difference between the 3 port or 5 port Nova .12's.

The numbers that come on the motor from the factory are right where they have to be.........

I have put a O.S. .18 TZ in to a JAE 12 boat and while it worked well the performance was very comparable to the NR .12

You will not like a .21 in the boat unless you like to spend time in the retrieve boat working on your rowing skills.....

.12 motors take a bit of getting used to.....A good solid breakin really helps with the frustration level of running a .12 motor....The Novas come very tight from the factory......

You will really like the JAE 12's ease of operation and performance......... The boat is very user friendly and easy to set-up..........

Rod Geraghty

Note:You can adapt virtually any car .12./.18 motor/pipe combination to run in the JAE .12 .It will run very well but not at the performance level of the Novarossi .12.

Last edited by a moderator:
Losi 3.4 small block is very good. Available on ebay cheap, over 65 without much trouble at all. Depends on your club rules, if it must be a .12 or just under .21.

Thanks ron. I've built several of these boats in the past. I used the nr 12 that I sent to you and had carb and head mods. Im sure that is the route I'll go, just wanted to hear what people think.

thanks

I have a 12 jae with an o.s. 18 tz. The motor has been "Simpsonized" by my buddy Stan Simpson, he replaced the air cooled head with a water cooled head and regular glow plug. Some modifications of the motor, he won't tell me all of them. Runs great and is fast. Great little boat.

I second Geraghy the NR .12 5 ports is what I used on this boat and I did a very light cowl for it too....very consistent combo.Gill

DSCN3349.jpg

Ya, I'm planning on just a stock build (no cf in the tub, light on the glue n resin). The new kit looks lighter, so that's going to be the theam, sand off every little excess and don't add anything extra. Keep it light

I bought a NR .12 5P and a pipe and it is to nice to waste on the project I was looking at doing for the kids (I'll pull the motor out of the old Miss Bud for that one). Just ordered a JAE 12GT. What Strut/rudder/waterPU/Turn fin do I order from Octura or whomever? Also, where do I start with a couple props? Sorry for the n00b questions......

Chuck,

Lots of engine options, it just depends on your budget.
High end on-road motors work very well in the 12-Hydros.
Some that come to mind are: O.S. T-1202, T-1203, Picco
S1 1218 team motor, Picco Torque 12 EDO motor is one of
my better motors. We liked the Novarossi Mephisto-12, as
well as the Mito-12. Many great choices, it is important to
keep the boats as close to 2-pounds for great performance.
The tuned pipe is critical as well. Lots of cutting and welding
to find the best pipe performance. We have had Very Good
results with some of the Australian carbon car pipes as well as the
Brian Buass beautiful masterpieces of work. The Novarossi-12
3-port and 5-port motors run great with a little work to. Working
on a engine test stand with data acquisition currently to learn more
about:crankshaft designs, head buttons, pipes, fuel and plugs. Lots
to learn still.The GT-12 is almost ready to test different propellers
that I have made up. The: 1440, 1640,1515,1516, 1517, and 1519 have
all ran very well in testing the last few years.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Chuck,

Lots of engine options, it just depends on your budget.
High end on-road motors work very well in the 12-Hydros.
Some that come to mind are: O.S. T-1202, T-1203, Picco
S1 1218 team motor, Picco Torque 12 EDO motor is one of
my better motors. We liked the Novarossi Mephisto-12, as
well as the Mito-12. Many great choices, it is important to
keep the boats as close to 2-pounds for great performance.
The tuned pipe is critical as well. Lots of cutting and welding
to find the best pipe performance. We have had Very Good
results with some of the Australian carbon car pipes as well as the
Brian Buass beautiful masterpieces of work. The Novarossi-12
3-port and 5-port motors run great with a little work to. Working
on a engine test stand with data acquisition currently to learn more
about:crankshaft designs, head buttons, pipes, fuel and plugs. Lots
to learn still.The GT-12 is almost ready to test different propellers
that I have made up. The: 1440, 1640,1515,1516, 1517, and 1519 have
all ran very well in testing the last few years.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Thanks, Mark..little of a side bar on an old thread but it's all good.......can you set me up with your properly prepared props for a NR 12 5P on a NR muffled pipe for this rigger?

Bruce

Bruce,

How many do you want?
I did two for you last night.
I need your address please?

Thanks For The Order,

Mark Sholund
231-590-3023

Last edited:
Back