J.D. WOF 30" Tunnel build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, that 14" band saw would come in handy at this point. Tilt the table required degree and make a cut. Looking good so far..

Well its interesting how things work...
I did order the t- angle tool and guess what...my coworker had one in his truck..
But what a difference it makes..my angles were off..and im thankful that Mark Scott showed me this tool..Thank you Sir....so here is a couple pics

Attachments

• 20190718_151312.jpg
    20190718_151312.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 255
  • 20190718_151225.jpg
    20190718_151225.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 269
  • 20190718_151217.jpg
    20190718_151217.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 275
Don't know if you already cut the bottom angle, but I just set my band saw for the angle and use the side former as the guide. Just be careful to not cut into the side former.

JD

Jerry..
I have not invested in a band saw yet..but its on the list as a must have...it would definitely save a ton of time and be very close to final dimensions with just a light sand...I think my coworker has a band saw...perhaps a drive to his home is in order..after all....what are friends for..
Jerry..one last thing..should I glue the top wood pieces on before cutting the bottoms..or does it not matter..

So how many things can you do wrong and still build a boat...the last couple days were well....trying...
It is time to seal the interior of the center section....glue flotation ...install top decking and install radio box and motor mount/fuel support...simple right...
Although it is done...it was just in the most unorthodox manner...the sponsons are coming along still on the one and perfecting the top angles

Attachments

• 20190721_123040.jpg
    20190721_123040.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 242
Don't know if you'd be interested in saving some time and effort, but if you cut the rear sponson former flat like shown in this picture you can just use one sheet of plywood for the decking. I stopped doing the double deck sheeting on all my new WOF boats. This photo is from one of my 3S Kneeler builds, but the concept is the same.

JD

Attachments

• Rear Sponson Former.JPG
    Rear Sponson Former.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 217
Don't know if you'd be interested in saving some time and effort, but if you cut the rear sponson former flat like shown in this picture you can just use one sheet of plywood for the decking. I stopped doing the double deck sheeting on all my new WOF boats. This photo is from one of my 3S Kneeler builds, but the concept is the same.

JD
JD
Is there any certain type of plywood that's the best to use when building a boat

Hi Alan,

I use aircraft grade plywood. I think Balsa USA sell plywood used for model airplanes that would work fine for model boats. I don't use Lite Ply. Probably some other IWers have a source as well.

JD

Jerry...
Yea...post #52 I mentioned one piece top..but this alows me to keep my skills In check...all good..im also dragging my feet trying to enjoy this 100° summer..
Balsawoodinc for me..I also like that they offer 5ply

Last edited:
Hi:
So how many things can you do wrong and still build a boat...the last couple days were well....trying...
It is time to seal the interior of the center section....glue flotation ...install top decking and install radio box and motor mount/fuel support...simple right...
Although it is done...it was just in the most unorthodox manner...the sponsons are coming along still on the one and perfecting the top angles
Forgive my boldness about this topic...
When the boat is running, the force of inertia causes that fuel will be towards, to the engine.
That causes this fuel fitting pick-up to run out of fuel or cause bubbles in it.
I have had problems previously for this type of assembly and I solved it by turning the gas tank.

WOF-TANQUE1.jpg

I hope and I wish have helped

Hello julio...
An yes you are correct about all that stuff...the fuel tank and the servos are just props to get the juices flowing on how the boat is progressing and taking shape....when the tank is plummed it will have hard lines not the silicone fuel tubes and will make the fuel lines as short as possible...thank you for your input and observation....

Moving along...the center section is complete...and off the building jig for the first time...
I will glue the sponson tips on and shape before installing the top and bottom sheeting..

Attachments

• 20190724_165910.jpg
    20190724_165910.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 210
  • 20190724_165859.jpg
    20190724_165859.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 210
  • 20190724_171336.jpg
    20190724_171336.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 221
Thank you Jerry...
Im thinking about the sponsons for the next build....put a curve on the top sponsons....not flat....just a slight radius..
That way there still is built in structure that gives stiffness to the design...

This is a J.D. question...
The bottom sheeting on the plans are layed out what looks like 2 pieces...is there a reason ....or can it be sheets as a single sheet...?

If you are asking about the spoon bottom, yes, it can be done as one sheet. The two sheet process added a "step" on the bottom.

Back