Is the OB class doomed?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Price is relative.

I will say this.. the OS outboard is a good value for the performance and longevity of the motor..

I have had one motor on the same piston and Liner for 15 years.. (my back up now) and the Air cooled a BEAST i race now.... now 8 years old.. I have not dropped in ONE PART on the motor.

AWESOME performing!

Grim

The price of the OS outboard is still competitive compared to getting a new CMB and running hardware required for an inboard.

We have hulls, engines and servos at a one stop shop with StumpFab. Currently the only nitro design you can get everything at one place.

Certainly a more looming issue is the for the larger nitro tunnel classes, though conversion kits for the CMB from Joern, Bam Racing and StumpFab help lessen the blow.

We need some more innovation and availability in the design department to really “fix” the issue. Hard to push those needs when people aren’t buying as quickly however.

I push these XM engines to your door for aprox 400 bucks. Even though it is freakin`cheap I don`t sell a lot of them, guess they are not so popular as we like to think 🤔

The outboards are doomed if innovative ideas keep getting rejected by the very people who run outboards. Down here in the southeast we had some really cool things going on with outboards that lasted for a few seasons. At the tunnel champs and some other races we were running endurance races with pit stops, a Mod-VP class (some races with beach starts), kneeler hydro, super sport class ( any 40 engines with no tuned pipe) and run whatcha brung. It all died with in fighting and politics. I have always said and will still say that the outboard class needs to be more than just tunnel hulls. But all you will hear is "no new classes" from the same people who are letting the OB's die. The Charleston club was the epicenter of all of these cool ideas until the club was invaded and 'transformed'.

I always liked the .45 outboard riggers...
Seemed like a cheaper and easier way for an upcoming boater to get his feet wet in the hydro class using some of the equipment that he may already own.

Some of the ones I saw back in the 80's were pretty fast for the overall investment...

There were a few endurance classes in the late 80's internats...couple of the guys from Houston entered a boat, and it was a blast to watch all of the pit stops that were part of the rules... boat had to come in, be shut off and placed on the stand and restarted at minimum. Some folks tried larger fuel tanks, others refueled, changed plugs etc.
It was organized chaos.. good times!

The outboards are doomed if innovative ideas keep getting rejected by the very people who run outboards. Down here in the southeast we had some really cool things going on with outboards that lasted for a few seasons. At the tunnel champs and some other races we were running endurance races with pit stops, a Mod-VP class (some races with beach starts), kneeler hydro, super sport class ( any 40 engines with no tuned pipe) and run whatcha brung. It all died with in fighting and politics. I have always said and will still say that the outboard class needs to be more than just tunnel hulls. But all you will hear is "no new classes" from the same people who are letting the OB's die. The Charleston club was the epicenter of all of these cool ideas until the club was invaded and 'transformed'.
Mark, I did what I could to help your Mod VP class. I put 36 years into supplying O/B boats for Nitro. What you have said is very true. This past year was my last year as a Nitro O/B Supplier. I am now concentrating all my efforts into Gas Outboard Tunnels and the Sport Hydro Class. I hope the Nitro O/B guys that are left will open their eyes and find a way to turn it around.

I will still help anyone who has ideas just PM me and I will be glad to help!
- Carl

Mark, I did what I could to help your Mod VP class. I put 36 years into supplying O/B boats for Nitro. What you have said is very true. This past year was my last year as a Nitro O/B Supplier. I am now concentrating all my efforts into Gas Outboard Tunnels and the Sport Hydro Class. I hope the Nitro O/B guys that are left will open their eyes and find a way to turn it around.

I will still help anyone who has ideas just PM me and I will be glad to help!
- Carl
Carl, you have been a cornerstone of outboards, no one can dispute that. Have to give credit to Gabe and others who keep the supply of equipment available. Did anyone notice the list of classes for that east/west shootout race....not a single outboard class, not even open tunnel. Mic did a good job with his southeast tunnel series. Hope they are okay down there in south Florida.

Back