Inverted o/b fe TS2

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will inverting my TS2 FE burn out the electronics?
Hi,

I am not sure what stage your up too in your F/E TS2. I built a box and lids for battery & esc. It is prety much waterproof, but I ballooned the esc as well.

As for the boat taking a tumble and being upside down, no I don't think you will burn out the motor.

Me being a funrunner, I write more in the f/e tunnel thread at rcuniverse. There is a plethora of tunnel info there from people setting up all kinds of tunnels with heaps of questions and answers. :)

Not stealing you or anything, just have a read if you like.

Peter

Cool. I was worried that it would somehow make a connection through the motor back to the esc and fry everything. That would be bad. I have flipped a TS2 with an O/B but you just take it apart and clean it up. Not sure about the electrics.

Last edited by a moderator:
In 5 years of running electric outboards, I've never had an issue that can be attributed to getting the motor wet. All of my ob's have been upside down at one point or another, some for lengthy periods of time up to 1/2 hour or more. After a dunking, wash the motor out with a commercial motor spray or WD40... anything that will displace the water without damaging insulation... and re-oil the bearings. Some racers go as far as to soak their motors in Corrosion-X overnight before running them. It may not be a good idea to pull the trigger while the motor is immeresed.

Getting the ESC wet is a different story. Some are water resistant.... some are not....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Patrick.

Heres my set up. Do you think ill be okay?

TS2 K&B leg With Offshore electric conversion with UL-1 motor. 100AMP esc. Up to 6S rated. I plan on running 2 3s 2200 in parallel. Prop is a 215 prather.

Thanks

Brad

you will not have any luch with the ul-1 motor on 3s, this is a 4s motor. crunch the numbers and that is going to be about 18,000 total rpm on 3s. your top speed calculates out to about 30 mph. now on 4s you get about 25,000 total rpm and around 40mph. if you are planning to run a 3s set you need something in the 3000kv range. you want your total rpm to come out somewhere in the 25-30,000 range.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/conversion.htm

Chuck,

Thanks. Thats a nice calculator. 30mph should be enough. Im just wanting to run with my boy on weekends. Not racing.

What other props do you have? That Prather 215 may not be the best prop to start testing with...It may be OK once you get it dialed in, but it will be on the "hotter" side with that setup.

I'd work with an X440/2 to start with 4S packs, knowing this is a sport boat. X442/2 and X440/3 is also a popular one for that setup. I've raced my TS-2 with a UL-1 motor and the X442/2 that was backcut and de-tongued still pulled 70 amps on average.

I didnt realize that it would pull so many amps. I need to rethink this prop. Since im not trying to go extremely fast do you think the 440 2 would be fine? What would be another prop that would work well but carry less pitch?

Latest posts

Back