In need of a small metal lathe.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 7" x 12" mini lathe is where a lot of guys start, when you're ready for something bigger/better they're easy to dump:

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-x-12-inch-precision-mini-lathe-93799.html
https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-7-x-12-mini-metal-lathe/g8688
Being in the Midwest you'll have lots of options on Craigslist & FB Marketplace and probably pick something like this up for a couple hundred bucks.

Or you could jump right in and get something in 9-11" swing, Southbend 9A, Emco Super 11 etc. The big question there is does it havta go in the basement as some older toolroom lathes in this size are 2K lbs. or more.

I went to trusty harbor freight and got mine...works fine...it's all about the set up and tooling...also Check "little machine shop"...from all the searching I have done...all are made in China by the same manufacturer branded under different names and configurations....

Many years ago, when shipping was still reasonable and items were still available, Shoptask and Smithy were common names for inexpensive mills and lathes..

I purchased a Shoptask combo mill and lathe, and it wasn't a bad little setup..
It was more machine than I was a machinist, so I couldn't fault the quality of the tool over how my projects turned out !!

I found it easy to spend a fortune in tooling and set up parts and cutting bits... often spending way more than the part I ended up making, than if I had just bought the part online..

I had a lot of fun modifying engines,,
again, engine parts were cheap and plentiful, so carving up a piston and sleeve was no big deal.. but I learned a lot about what works and what didn't..

I kept my machine for about 15 years, and ended up selling it to a guy that was a gunsmith... of course now I wish I hadn't,, but you know that old saying about "hindsight"...
To me, with so much stuff being mass produced today and available online,, it's hard to justify buying another lathe, unless
of course, I came up on one for pennies on the dollar... :cool:

Hey guys, I’m in need of a small metal lathe and I’m looking for some suggestions. Thoughts…..

Chris, check Grizzly out...I wouldn't go with the 7" unit, though.
Try to get one sourced from Taiwan rather than China.

All of the Chinese/Taiwanese machines need a fair amount of time to setup and adjust for maximum, consistent accuracy.

For what the hobby demands, the Emco- Maier Compact 5 or 8 machining centers were the best.
But they're not made anymore. Pre-owned ones, with tooling, pop up once in a while on eBay.

Prazi is another quality outfit for micro and mini machinery-

Prazi Wabeco Lathe MIlls Accessories Parts Omni Saw Turbo Micro Drill Nardini

Check out this Grizzly unit, too...we've used one extensibility and once set up properly they're a joy to use, especially for RC and slot cars-

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-8-x-16-variable-speed-benchtop-lathe/g0768
sold-emco-compact-5-lathe-collection.jpg

Last edited:
I would stay away from anything made in China. The quality just isn't there.
With that said, I've seen a lot of what the guys are saying as very good info. Depending on what you're looking at making, you might also consider a Sherline. Granted, it's smaller than most of the lathes others have mentioned but they are easy to use, very precise and, if you need more than a 3.5" overbed clearance, they have spacers to increase the clearance. Best part is they are made right here in the US. Here's one for you to look at:
https://www.micromark.com/Dlx-Lathe-B-Package

Be careful with selecting one of those mini lathes, once you begin to get the bug for making things you will find the mini lathe just won't cut it. I bought an Atlas Clausing 6" many years ago which has been great, but if I was buying now I would go bigger like Steve is showing. A real lathe!!

Its all relative.. I have Hobbed gears on mine as well as made wheel for both 027 and HO model trains.

We have an older Enco table top here at work.... I will leave i there... I have also used a Prazi.. VERY nice for the money.

I have two Micro Proto systems 1220 XL CNC (now DSLS 3000.. servo motors) machines and they are built on the Taig platform and have GREAT support. Although my lathe is manual its a darn nice "little" machine.

http://www.microproto.com/
Grim

BTY, my Smithy is TUNED! and a great 3N1..

238715-f62a59014e4f67b31982f1920b44c8fb.data

I still have my little Compact 5 but it doesn't get much use since I got the Super 11, I sure did a lot of good work on it tho.

If you can find a complete package like the picture for a decent price it's worth it, otherwise accessories are hard to find and can be pricey.

Great little lathe/mill-drill for hobby stuff!

238715-f62a59014e4f67b31982f1920b44c8fb.data

I still have my little Compact 5 but it doesn't get much use since I got the Super 11, I sure did a lot of good work on it tho.

If you can find a complete package like the picture for a decent price it's worth it, otherwise accessories are hard to find and can be pricey.

Great little lathe/mill-drill for hobby stuff!

Yessir!...I regret selling mine.
It's too bad Emco discontinued them.

The mill pedestal allowed fly cutting and other nice ops...we'd fixture sleeves up in lathe chuck and cut ports with mill.

Still keeping an eye out for a decent clean one with all the accessories.

Chris, I have a couple of the older Unimat SL green 3" lathes with the milling post,, then bought the white Unimat 3 complete, after a while, I bought the Emco 5 as Terry pictured above. These are quality machines my grandchildren will use and I recommend them. If you want to try something out, let me know. Also check with Jack T. from the electric guys, he still lives in Metairie and due to health has moved out a lot of stuff, he had a nice little red machine he bought new after Katrina was very happy with, if still there, probably for sale.

Back