ILLEGAL or LEGAL ????

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALLAN YUEN

I wonder that did anyone run Canard Hull with FE motor for entry P hydro class???

Jim, that is an outrigger, not a canard or four-point.
I'm sure many of the "old timers" in the forum will remember the Stiletto. It was a four point FG boat that was primarily used for 1/16th mile record runs. That thing was fast as hell, so much so that, IIRC, it was banned from heat racing.
As far as actual four point boats that actually ran, in full size, there were only two:
  • The 1980 U-31 Circus Circus
  • The 1994 U-4 Elam Plus
Neither boat was successful. The Circus tended to ride on the nose and eventually had a rudder failure on Lake Washington, relegating the boat to the scrap heap while the Elam went airborne, slamming back onto the water with enough force that it broke the hull in half. The driver almost lost both legs in the event and again, IIRC, never drove again. I've seen scale models of the Circus that were competitive but not for several years.

You can see the Elam crash at the 2:25 point of this video:

Canard rigger is legal. Ken Joye built a number of them back in the early 2000's. Extremely cool to look at but never really competed with what we all know as riggers. Maybe with brushless and lipo it could work.

I know that Dougie Twaits has a Phydro Ed Fisher Canard that he raced in the past and has since given to me to race. In Impba a canard is Legal for P Hydro, hopefully sometime this year I will get it out and get it going.

Latest posts

Back