I Waters Rocket Club

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the explanation!
Makes perfect sense, and sorry you lost the bird.. I know it's tough to admit when things like this happen, but we're all human...and hey, **** happens.
I had no idea that these rockets were this complex, I thought after the motors burned out, there was like a time delay fuse and then the chute popped out. little bit more going on than I ever thought.

we've all made bone head mistakes running boats, I've had my share for sure, but I just try to learn from them and move on!!
Good luck in the future!

one more thing, are the sections of the rocket secured together in some way, or is it just a friction fit into the next section?

I have video someplace of testing shear pins on The Blessed Hell Ride.. the neighbors must think I am nuts.. (B O O M!) LOL

I have video someplace of testing shear pins on The Blessed Hell Ride.. the neighbors must think I am nuts.. (B O O M!) LOL

Before the 4F BP issues we are facing , I used to make a large charge well- capped and packed with dog barf - hook up a 50ft piece of speaker wire and (test ;) ) them in the back yard. Good stuff, now Im afraid to waste any at all, I need to hit Bill Jacksons for another # just to have plenty on hand . Not like we use a bunch at a time, but I dont want to run out.
Find that video and post it Z .

Dog barf huh?? 🤣

What's the charge made from ?
Something like tannerite?

Its 4F Black powder and an electronic match . The altimeter sends the signal / voltage - too the EMatch
Dog Barf is flame resistant insulation- helps protect the chute and kevlar blankets they are wrapped in from the black powder charges .

I just earned what dog barf is from Tim on Apogee web site...lots of stuff I'm learning about high power rockets...big jump from the Estes stuff

All I ever learned about them was from small single engine Estes missile's my friend and I used to build and fire two of them at a time off of our trainer planes trying to shoot each other down!! 🤪

used a nicad pack connected to a micro switch triggered by a servo on an unused channel to light off the ignitor wires...it was a blast!!

I guess combining FPV along with the aerial combat with the onboard missles could be almost as real as it could get..would have a hard time explaining to AMA on any damages that may accur...but exciting non the less...

My friend and I used to fly ARF .40 trainers with .51 supertigers with pipes... they were cheap,
overpowered, buildable in about 4 hours, and were a blast to dogfight, or tie streamers on to cut, and just plain have fun.

as we got bored with them or they got ragged out, we would try to destroy them in fun ways.
You would be surprised how hard it is to hit another plane when you intend to !!! Some of the wrecks were spectacular, I wish we had videoed them. Most of the time the engines and radio gear survived to be used again..
I bet we both went through 25 planes each over the years we flew .

The little missiles were also cheap, and more fun than anything... I think we may have scored two hits out of 100 fired, and both were lucky shots with minimal damage.

We flew far away from any populated area, out over rice fields, so we felt pretty sure the only people in danger were ourselves ! Although my buddy did manage to put his plane through the back windshield of his nice SUV during a landing attempt gone wrong!!
Good times !!

Well it's rocket launch day today at the NOVAAR club in Virginia....today's high is 26°...
I think I will stay home...I know how plastic parachutes and the cold work.....maybe next month...

Attachments

• 20220115_104901.jpg
    20220115_104901.jpg
    585.2 KB · Views: 13
Well it's rocket launch day today at the NOVAAR club in Virginia....today's high is 26°...
I think I will stay home...I know how plastic parachutes and the cold work.....maybe next month...
In the infamous words Of my rocket mentor Rick Waters - " push the button " - later to learn , he mumbled " its not my rocket " under his breath 😂 😂 😂
Know when to fly and when not- but even the best days bite ya, part of the enjoyment IMHO ;)
At least go to the field with your stuff and watch - keep it in the car if its not right, but dont regret NOT flying

Yup, I've been bitten by the "just one more run"
bug before,, especially during open water..
lost a 20 hydro that went dead in the back straight,, got cut in half by a twin hydro driver that didn't see it and T boned it...

as they say...sh!t happens.

Yup, I've been bitten by the "just one more run"
bug before,, especially during open water..
lost a 20 hydro that went dead in the back straight,, got cut in half by a twin hydro driver that didn't see it and T boned it...

as they say...sh!t happens.

Thats why we do what we do :cool:

Got a chance to get out and fly with the Tripoli Tampa Club last weekend. Went nice and easy with my Sport X , 3grain 38mm research Gorilla Sparky motor we made a few months back. I hand packed these out of leftovers from the big stuff we made that day- lol. They Rock !!!

Attachments

• IMG_6017.JPG
    IMG_6017.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6039.JPG
    IMG_6039.JPG
    880.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6041.JPG
    IMG_6041.JPG
    880.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6043.JPG
    IMG_6043.JPG
    862 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6008.JPG
    IMG_6008.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
Went out to the "in progress" new shop yesterday to get some motors for next weekend, needless to say, there is some pretty cool stuff there that I would LOVE to play a hand in getting back in the air.

Attachments

• IMG_20220612_132209.jpg
    IMG_20220612_132209.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220612_140950.jpg
    IMG_20220612_140950.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220612_141031.jpg
    IMG_20220612_141031.jpg
    749.1 KB · Views: 0
231067-88aa8a938b292a62db85137e99505a8a.data

Dude... that is crazy!!! How big around is that thing??

What the hell do you use to lift it off ???
A JATO ???

Back