I hate radios! Neutral shift?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I learned Mode 1 years ago and I still use that on my airplanes. I graduated to a wheel radio for boats, but bought a Spectrum DX6 recently for my planes. It can be programed for Mode 1 as I suspect other modern radios can. I have no idea how well it would work in boats. The receivers have two antennas but surface range may be limited.

Lohring Miller

is your 3E-GX converted to 2.4Ghz? I love those radio's.

is that the Tx pack? Is it LiPo?

I still have my 1990's Airtronics 3PS "Caliber" FM, Pistol, radio. Very good radio's. Tempted to use it now (even though I have new Sanwa/Airtronics M12s & M17 2.4GHz gear)
That radio is one of the best feeling radios and easy to use. I still have 3 of them and I did get it to work with a 2.4 module but it wasn't perfect . I need to try soldering in another kind of module . hate to see this one go to the pasture.

is your 3E-GX converted to 2.4Ghz? I love those radio's.

is that the Tx pack? Is it LiPo?

I still have my 1990's Airtronics 3PS "Caliber" FM, Pistol, radio. Very good radio's. Tempted to use it now (even though I have new Sanwa/Airtronics M12s & M17 2.4GHz gear)

Wow, it's been 11 years: 3EGX FASST conversion.

That was a NiMh pack that melted after I changed the charging connector, did I say I was electrically challenged?

I'm gonna clean the board with contact cleaner and replace the stick pots and see what that does. I think the cells venting inside the case wasn't good for things...

I use wheel radio's on my boats. First boat radio was the Futaba brown box wheel. But when it comes to airplanes, go Mode 1. Started flying radio control after control line in about 1976. Can fly mode 2 but do have to think about it. For myself when flying pattern aircraft mode1 allows for me to shape my loops better.

Terry, You may be able to replace the pots in the radio. If would be like new then.

Wonder if the T7XC stick radio can have its gimbals rotated to switch from Mode 2 to Mode 1.

Futaba T7XC

Looking through the manual it does not look like you can switch: Futaba T7XC manual

Why not just go with an aircraft radio? Looks like the 16IZ is the lowest spec radio still with FASST instead of FHSS.

Futaba 16IZ

I guess Grim Dude is right, there's just no pleasing me.

I hate the digital switches for trim and mixture, there's no feedback and you havta look down at a screen to see where you are. Now I reach up from the throttle and feel a solid detent "click" on the needle, same with the trims.

When the boat comes in I bring the throttle stick to idle then cut the motor by bringing the trim lever down, how do you guys with trim "switches" do it?

I don't use stick radios, but with digital radios you can typically set any button or switch to control any channel. You can also pick how it does that, whether it's in a number of steps across the servo throw, or by percentage. So in your case you'd want to set a button or switch up as a kill switch, with 1 step to close the carb when pushed.

Wonder if the T7XC stick radio can have its gimbals rotated to switch from Mode 2 to Mode 1.

Futaba T7XC

Looking through the manual it does not look like you can switch: Futaba T7XC manual

Why not just go with an aircraft radio? Looks like the 16IZ is the lowest spec radio still with FASST instead of FHSS.

Futaba 16IZ
I have not seen a Futaba stick radio that can not be changed to Mode 1. I have done all of my T7XC and my 16IZ radios. You move the ratchet to the other stick and change the program select for the mode you want. This keeps the receiver channels the same. Or you could just plug in the servos in the different channel numbers.

I changed both stick assemblies and all is well again, I have a dozen or so of these for parts I've collected over the years.

Funny, a club member (Randy Rap) dropped by and had the same issue with his 6EX, he's gonna see if some contact cleaner in the bad pot will help.

I changed both stick assemblies and all is well again, I have a dozen or so of these for parts I've collected over the years.

Funny, a club member (Randy Rap) dropped by and had the same issue with his 6EX, he's gonna see if some contact cleaner in the bad pot will help.
The tx pot on the Futaba 6EX stick radio is a little different than than what you have. I sprayed the crap out of it with the contact cleaner you recommended and it appears to now be working fine. Thanks for the tip.

Terry, I have one of the Futaba transmitters like yours that I would like to sell. If you are interested, send me an email at [email protected]. Think I sold you the one you currently have????? JB

Latest posts

Back