I do so hate sharpening

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Hughes

Vendor
Got 10 props finished up this weekend. Still have 5 on the bench and 3 coming in mail to go. Thanks to Walt and Bill for these blanks. Mostly 21 and 45 props. Two 67/80 in there as well. Now time for some lakeside testing. Whenever the governor lifts the ban.20200628_181458.jpg

If I take out all my twin sets (8), I can make some room. Also thinking about putting the 3 blades in another smaller prop box. They all fit now. After I finish the others, not so much. I will tackle that problem when I get there. LOL
Mike

Mike if I can ask a question, what do I need to do when after balancing props they balance out horizontally?
Find, when you sight straight down the prop shaft, every part of the prop that is heavy is below the center line and will need to have material removed to balance or you would have to add material to every part above center to balance.
Thanks John

Got 10 props finished up this weekend. Still have 5 on the bench and 3 coming in mail to go. Thanks to Walt and Bill for these blanks. Mostly 21 and 45 props. Two 67/80 in there as well. Now time for some lakeside testing. Whenever the governor lifts the ban.View attachment 281480

Hey there Mike, what sort of tool are you using to work over the blade faces and backs? I have S&B’d more props than I can remember but all I have ever done was to simply sharpened and balanced them and then spend some time on them with a dremel mini buff wheel to get some shine on them. What I’ve never done is thining the blade nor have I ever understood how guys like Mark get them so smooth and shiney? Blade thinning and the see yourself in the blade finish is the question. I agree, so very tedious and I’m so thankful for the Marks out there who keep us in jewelry.

Mike if I can ask a question, what do I need to do when after balancing props they balance out horizontally?
See pic. If you prop hangs like in the pic, you will want to take material off of area 2 leading edge to mid blade. Getting it to drop back down to 4 low. The prop is really close at this point to being close to balance. Then its is just a little bit at a time off of 4 till you get it spin stop at different locations.

Attachments

• 20200629_173053.jpg
    20200629_173053.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Hey there Mike, what sort of tool are you using to work over the blade faces and backs? I have S&B’d more props than I can remember but all I have ever done was to simply sharpened and balanced them and then spend some time on them with a dremel mini buff wheel to get some shine on them. What I’ve never done is thining the blade nor have I ever understood how guys like Mark get them so smooth and shiney? Blade thinning and the see yourself in the blade finish is the question. I agree, so very tedious and I’m so thankful for the Marks out there who keep us in jewelry.
Here is a shot of the belt sander I use. I do most of my work with this. Trailing edge sharpening, thinning, leading egde sharpen, drive dog notch clean up. I use some 1" disc to fine dial in the leading edge. I use the scotch brite wheel to buff up the leading face of the blade. Cleans up a lot of the scratches to the nice polish finish. I just go at the back of the blade with a 320 piece of wet sand paper. Hope this helps.
Mike20200629_174138.jpg20200629_174150.jpg20200629_174436.jpg

Oh I akmost forgot the most important tool in the shop.

I dont know how many times I have reduced a burn on my hands by getting it to cool water before it can do amy damage. LArge bucket is under the beltsander and grinder. Had a small bucket just under the prop belt sander.

1593478401275207285708025501407.jpg15934784414888027545374554237653.jpg

See pic. If you prop hangs like in the pic, you will want to take material off of area 2 leading edge to mid blade. Getting it to drop back down to 4 low. The prop is really close at this point to being close to balance. Then its is just a little bit at a time off of 4 till you get it spin stop at different locations.
Thanks for the info Mike.

Back