I’m looking to get some P-limited rigger info.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisHerzog

Supporting Member
I’m considering building a P-limited rigger and I have been looking at the IMPBA rules As well as the Zippkits web site. If I decide to go with the Zippkits 33” hull, can someone please lay out a couple different specific combinations motor/ESC/battery and prop combinations that both work well and are competitive?
I’ve also looked at the OSE web site and with as many different motors and ESC’s that they offer it just get even more confusing. I don’t know what’s the good stuff and what are the things to stay away from.
Since it seems so much stuff is out stock right now I would appreciate maybe 2 different complete combinations if possible.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

For heat racing the JAE 33 is a little large and heavy.(better full P or mild Q) The 26 is fast but not great in rougher water. Another option is the KEPs which is in between on size.
I like the OSE Raider 150 (Flycolor 150) esc for any P spec boat. Motor Leopard 3660 2050 or 2380 Kv are fast, reliable and inexpensive. My KEPs runs into the 60's with a 1717 ABC
Mic

I thought the Jae 26 would not be allowed in P-limited. The hull is 26” long and I believe the rules state minimum hull length is 27”. Do I have that wrong?

The rule states "UP to 60 inches" for Riggers. The 27" limit is for N - 2 cell class. NAMBA limits riggers along with other hulls per class N-27", P-34", Q-40", S-50",T-60". There are no minimums.
Mic

Chris,
A little clarification IMPBA does not have a "P-Ltd" class for national level rules. It's a club rule in most cases that tend to follow the NAMBA rule set.
This means a 36x60mm maximum motor size and 4 cells.

Go with the larger 33" if you decide to race. It's a little heavy, but that will not be a major determent in race water. It's also a hell of a lot easier to fit components in. Some general recommendations to get you started.

ESC: Look for a 150-200A ESC. You only need about 100-120A, but it better to have a little headroom.
Good options are the 150A OSE Raider: OSE Raider 150A This is the best value option. Buy the programming box too.
Hobbywing SeaKing 120 Pro: SeaKing 120 Pro
Hobbywing SeaKing 180A: SeaKing 180A

Motor: you want the largest motor that fits in the rules. TP3630, Leopard 3660, Aquacraft UL1 or similar motor, SSS 3656 or SSS 3660. You want a motor kV between 1800-2400 as a good starter. Lower kV motors will swing larger props slower and higher kV motors will swing smaller props faster. It's usually a good idea to try and match kV and loaded RPM to existing props you might have from a 21 hydro.

My preference is the TP3630 1950 or 2200kV motor. TP3630
Mic mentioned the Leopard 3660: Leopard 3660 X2

Battery: You will want a minimum 5000mAh 45C battery. You can run two smaller 3000mAh packs and parallel them if room allows. Most guys run a single 5000mAh pack from RoaringTop 4S 5100mAh , Dinogy 4S 5000mAh or HobbyKing Panther Graphene 4S 5000mAh. There are other brands too, but I can recommend these are top tier batteries.

-Tyler

Good point Tyler. It is a shame that the largest class in FE events is not recognized by IMPBA.
On a side note a bunch of us here in FL are using 33's with a 40X75mm motor limit and Fly150's on 6S. Speeds with 1400-1700kv are high 60's and low 70's. $80 motor and $50 esc that uses the hulls capabilities. You can easily put a 3660 back in for Limited if the class is offered.
Mic

When I was looking up the rules I did a search on the P-limited class and started reading. I must have got things crossed up because when I saw the the hull had to be in between 27” and 33” I thought that I was reading the IMPBA rules.

Thank you for the input on the other items, the hulls, motors, ESC, and batteries. I’ll look into it all!

We have been offering the class at our VooDoo races for a while but now I have at least two other guys putting boats together along with me. At least I’ll have someone to run with!!

Thanks again guys!

Back