Huntsville Record Trials

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Atwell

Some insider information says that records are falling đź‘€
The Johnson’s have raised the Sport SAW record
Van Houten/ Talley have lowered the Sport oval record.
Tight work fellas good luck for more!

It was very cold (I don't think it broke 50 degrees all day) & NAMBA sport rules prevent you from restricting the water to build heat with the water cooled version of O/S and the air cooled version sucked the heat out as fast as you could make it. We barely broke the record. We will go back and carve more off that time when conditions are more favorable to that class.

The all carbon 3.5cc rigger that Mark and Chris had was really sweet. I saw a 115mph pass from it and the rpm would raise the hair on your neck.

Oh and THANKS to Mic's son Jay for helping Mike get his NAMBA membership. We both talked about what a nice guy you have always been on the way home that night... THANKS JAY!

Last edited:
that is awesome news! Good to hear that you are doing so well with the records and still plenty more in there once you get the right air temps :)

time trials can certainly make or break a man (or women)... until you get that 1 perfect pass...then it all resets and its the best thing in the world lol

Nothing worse than preparing all year and getting everything set/up running consistently above record speed. Then the day of the event everything goes wrong. Don’t think many understand testing @ home verses record day in a different body of water especially hundreds of miles away plays a huge factor how well your set/up is going to run

That is so true... you know when people run hydro's they don't get to enjoy the added frustration that comes along with designs that fall into in the higher drag zone. With that being said, you can take a prop that is getting the job done at our home pond and take it to a higher elevation and different water and the engine does not perform as well due to the air difference PLUS the water being different can completely blow your setup! Our home pond water and the Huntsville is never the same. Our best home pond prop was an absolute dog in Huntsville. It's all part of the game.

I could literally stop at the Brandon pond and run my B-Mono and then drive an hour and a half up the road to the OCD in Orlando and the boat was a dog , always had to prop down. :oops:

So true. Testing and setting up on the site prior to the event is huge. During the event is no time to find a setup. Tweaking your setup a little during the event maybe but when your name comes up you have to take what ever wind conditions are at that time. If the wind happens to gust up to 8 mph you might as well pass. We actually had fair wind conditions overall but it only takes a 3 mph wind to force you to change your driving style just to keep the boat on the water. We will bring a different boat next time.

Jay and I drove from S. Florida a week ago and arrived 6am Sat to find a thin layer of ice on the Huntsville pond and 24 degrees temp. By 9 the pond was clear and perfect water. I watched the forecast for 10 days prior and we didn't decide to go till Thursday. Nothing worse than driving 12 hrs and 800 miles to watch the wind blow. I envy those who live within 200 miles of a record course. Home by 4pm Sunday and 78 degrees.
Mic

Some people fly all the way across the country to sit in the rain, cold & wind to watch their favorite ball team get their butts kicked. It's kind of the same thing. LOL

Been there. Actually times like that gives you time to meet and talk to other racers. I guess it's not a total loss. I typically take along a few props that I am planning to work and if the weather gets too bad to race I will start on props to help pass the time.

Last edited:
Back