HP 40 silver star

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turn it out three turns and try to start it . If it does start and is very hesitant to increase in RPM turn it in a 1/2 turn or so and repeat . It should increase in RPM sluggishly to be rich enough to run .

Thanks, Tom...this engine has a high and a low needle...I take it you are referring to the high needle.

Vince

Yes , put a piece of dry fuel line on the carb and blow through it with the carb just barely open and open low speed till you can sense it is flowing slightly . This should get you running and then adjust for better transition after high speed is close .

I just replaced the piston ring in this engine, does it need to be broken in again?
Thx,
Vince
I still have a .40 Gold Star. Yes I would run in the new ring. Although I have never done it myself, I understand the liner should be cross hatch honed slightly to help seat the ring.

The issue I have with the HP engine is the rear disk. It is heavily out of balance and wear out the drive pin quickly. Do you notice a flat on the drive pin?

k

I still have a .40 Gold Star. Yes I would run in the new ring. Although I have never done it myself, I understand the liner should be cross hatch honed slightly to help seat the ring.

The issue I have with the HP engine is the rear disk. It is heavily out of balance and wear out the drive pin quickly. Do you notice a flat on the drive pin?

k

I didn't cross etch the liner, and I have to say, the piston was very tight going in. I drowned it with lube an worked it slowly on the bench with a cordless drill on very low rpms. Yesterday I reinstalled it in the boat, set the needles (as suggested by Tom above) and it fired right up. Runs real nice, but boat vibrates like crazy...engine is mounted without rubber mounts.

I didn't cross etch the liner, and I have to say, the piston was very tight going in. I drowned it with lube an worked it slowly on the bench with a cordless drill on very low rpms. Yesterday I reinstalled it in the boat, set the needles (as suggested by Tom above) and it fired right up. Runs real nice, but boat vibrates like crazy...engine is mounted without rubber mounts.
Yes, mine vibrated like crazy too and it was because of the out of balance rear disk. It wore out the rotor pin and the crank drive pin quickly. I ended up grinding off most of the lip on the disk to balance. I also repaired the crank by grinding off what's left of the drive pin and pressed in a number drill rod blank. It runs noticeably smoother after that

Yes, mine vibrated like crazy too and it was because of the out of balance rear disk. It wore out the rotor pin and the crank drive pin quickly. I ended up grinding off most of the lip on the disk to balance. I also repaired the crank by grinding off what's left of the drive pin and pressed in a number drill rod blank. It runs noticeably smoother after that
How did you balance the rear disk?

I suggest you inspect the disk, the rotor pin and the drive pin and check for wear first. If yours is like mine, you will find obvious metal shavings in the slot of the disk.

I used a prop balance with two cones to hold the disk. I have to use a Dremel with a grinding bit to remove the lip of the disk on the heavy side. If you need more help, I will open up mine and take a couple of photos to show

I never modify an engine in this case it was necessary

I suggest you inspect the disk, the rotor pin and the drive pin and check for wear first. If yours is like mine, you will find obvious metal shavings in the slot of the disk.

I used a prop balance with two cones to hold the disk. I have to use a Dremel with a grinding bit to remove the lip of the disk on the heavy side. If you need more help, I will open up mine and take a couple of photos to show

I never modify an engine in this case it was necessary

Yes, I will definitely have a look a that disk and see what's going on. Thank you so much for all the help. 🙂

Vince

Latest posts

Back