how to get a crank to drop into the case

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgary

Supporting Member
back in the day, we used to heat the engines to get the crank and bearings out of the case, can I heat the crank up in the oven to get it to drop through the bearings and int the case, this is a nelson 45 short stroke I wnt to put together so I have a back-up engine, thanks for any help you can give me

Why you need to heat the crank ?

Heat the case ..in oven for a while half hour or so.

With bearing on crank slide it into case

Then slide small bearing on

Attach flywheel tighten up.

Last edited:
if I heat the case, the bearings will fall out, used to heat the case to put bearings in, guide me thru this, tell me how to do it, I just want to do it the right way

Why you need to heat the crank ?

Heat the case ..in oven for a while half hour or so.

With bearing on crank slide it into case

Then slide small bearing on

Attach flywheel tighten up.
I think it would shrink the shaft of the crank and allow it to slide thru the bearing easier, 30 min at 350 in the oven

it's in, now which way does the sleeve go in, what is the exhaust side of the sleeve
I figured you were a seasoned engine guru..

But face the sleeve big port opening to the exhaust and the smaller boost ports to intake (carby side)..

The Nelson should of had sleeve shims under the liner to set the timing when you took it apart. Get them back in there too. The nelson is much like the K&B with tighter tolerances.

I put the bearings and crank in the freg over night and than heat the case.Put the large bearing on the crank and drop it in the case and turn it over and put the small bearing on.Put the cone and flywheel on and tighten the nut.

I have sleeve & button shims available, several used cases, flywheels, PTO's Complete anything to build motors...but short on rods (that's the weak link on the Nelson motors) at least for me.

Back