How much 2k clear

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would buy 4 or 5 and see where you are after 3 or so. You can always use the spare can or two on a future project or for repairs but remember, once you pop the hardener in there, it’s only good for roughly 24 hours.

Also, wear a decent mask that has filters and don’t spray in your house or basement whatever you do. It’s some nasty stuff, but it’s good hard paint and will hold up to nitro. If you can spray at temps around 80, that is ideal. It flows out better and less orange peel. Let that Krylon cure for 4-5 days before you shoot it with 2k. Wet sand the Krylon with 600-800 if necessary to get smooth as possible then wait another day, then wipe down with wax and grease remover prior to the clear.

Also, wear a decent mask that has filters and don’t spray in your house or basement whatever you do. It’s some nasty stuff, but it’s good hard paint and will hold up to nitro. If you can spray at temps around 80, that is ideal. It flows out better and less orange peel. Let that Krylon cure for 4-5 days before you shoot it with 2k. Wet sand the Krylon with 600-800 if necessary to get smooth as possible then wait another day, then wipe down with wax and grease remover prior to the clear.
Can you recomend s decent mask to use when spraying this stuff

I had excellent results with same product (2K Glamour Gloss Clearcoat.) Used it 1st time I ever sprayed any 2 part paint or clear coat. I got 2 cans to do some practice passes on scrap wood learned how it layed down & flows out. 2 cans let me take my time & not rush the job. I also avoided ruining paint job at the end when 1st can was getting low & about to spit/splatter. I cleared a JAE 12 Rigger, (1 can & some experience would have been enough on my stick boat.) A lot of product is wasted due to wide spray pattern shooting a stick boat. (You won’t have as much waste w/larger hull.) I used a disposable 3M paint mask ($16-$20) from Home Depot for 2 part paint. I followed instructions on can closely on the can & paint job turned out better than imagined w/o experience. Wet sanded few minor runs, applied Meguires Ultimate Rubbing Compound & Ultimate Polish finish came out like glass. 7+ years racing w/60% nitro still looks like glass. I think 3 cans would give you 2 coats plus room for practice/errors, but might consider 4 if it’s your 1st time using. Check the date on the can, when researching I recall if the date is close or past 2 years, product might not work as well. Hope any of the info helps?
Brian Neumann

Can you recomend s decent mask to use when spraying this stuff

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000436080/
I also use a box fan, or two, to PULL vapor away from paint site.
Those SprayMax 2K urethanes are nothing to mess with....the damage they cause is cumulative and will eventually wreck/kill you.
I also use those cheap full coverage Tyvex disposable suits and surgical gloves.

That stuff also seems to flow/level better with reasonable humidity in the air, and don't let it set too long between coats- at 75°-80° only about 6-7 mins.

Got it cleared today beside some orange peel and possible the red pin stripe trying to lift in a few places it looks good will let dry than hit with 200o wet sand and polish to a shine. Thank you everyone for all the help

Attachments

• 20230529_123338.jpg
    20230529_123338.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230529_123333.jpg
    20230529_123333.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Back