Hey Frankie look what I bought... :)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure what the engine is, OPS 65/67 probably not an 80.View attachment 297535

The center and right are ~1975 60's that still should be in good shape
I'm thinking the OPS above should be equivalent to the OPS .65 Marine in the Shamrock OPS catalog.

Also, you can compare difference of the OPS .67 & .80 marine engines

Attachments

• ShamrockCompetitionImports_OPS-Catalog_Circa-1980's-Reduced_03.jpg
    ShamrockCompetitionImports_OPS-Catalog_Circa-1980's-Reduced_03.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 30
  • ShamrockCompetitionImports_OPS-Catalog_Circa-1980's-Reduced_05.jpg
    ShamrockCompetitionImports_OPS-Catalog_Circa-1980's-Reduced_05.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
That was a nice find, Steve!

What years did you race in Dist 9?? I was active with the Fremont club from 1978 to 1981

Hey Will. I ran from 69 to 77 and raced from 74-77 in California district 9, 9-954 was my NAMBA number. Ran a couple of times in Fremont, Santa Clara, Pleasanton, Monterey, Legg Lake in El Monte and Fresno where we had our races in Kingsburg at Riverland. Ran 40 & 60 Crapshooters. 40 was blue and a 60 was red and the second one was yellow. OPS power at that point.

This boat was a nice find and the auction I just stumbled onto it in a "similar items" group. The other Wing Ding auction was for a yellow one and I forgot to bid the last morning it was for sale. This boat didn't even say Wing Ding in the title of the auction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165152165593

That was a nice find, Steve!

What years did you race in Dist 9?? I was active with the Fremont club from 1978 to 1981
I attended a SAW time trials event hosted by the Fremont club ~76/77 and ran a OPS 60 powered Crapshooter. Guessing is was a gen 2 hull, larger than the original, and had the side balsa rails sandwiched between plywood. The first shooter didn't have the plywood on the outer sides of the balsa. Larger boat and it had cast solid foam front sponsons. That boat ran well and for SAW pulled a full size Octura 2.6 prop. Ed Fisher held the NAMBA record at the time 76 MPH for C hydro.

I was chomping at the bit to lay down a pass in front of timers as that boat in decent water would crank off an estimated 90 MPH pass with ease. The record was mine for the taking.

FAIL. There's more to it than simply having a fast boat. The stars need to align. Probably steady 25 MPH wind, rough water and real cool temperature that Saturday afternoon. I was thinking about that day recently and realized that had I just warmed the motor more before having the boat launched it may have laid one down.

Went through the traps down and back, only got one attempt and 59 MPH. Didn't even get a 60 MPH patch out of the deal. Motor was 4 cycling and not on the pipe and boat was bouncing along not even set.

Dang it!

Last edited:
Looking at the evolution of the outriggers, it seems:

The aspect ratio or after plane divided by inside width between front sponsons (assuming dihedral or 0) was ~2-2.2:1. The newer boats are wider which lowers aspect ratio to the neighborhood of 1.2-1.5:1. Also, CG is farther aft in today's designs. That will allow for wider front sponson track and the boat won't have a tendency to porpoise or oscillate front to rear. CG going further aft is carried by the higher horsepower engines as compared to the past. Wider front track nullifies torque problems as well.

I don't know if there's any kind of formula Frank. Basically observations over the years. Narrow and long for SAW and wider for oval racing.

The Wind Ding is a great example of the older designs where the back of the front sponson was close to the glow plug. Today's hulls the engine sits aft of the end of the front sponsons riding surface. Back in the day we used to offset the front sponsons to the right for torque. i.e. the right side was farther from the center line of the boat. I learned that trick from Don Pinkert's wife by accident on a tech support phone call when Don wasn't home - she measured one of his boats to help me with the setup on mine. Later talking to Don he said "don't let that get out". :)

Probably not needed with the larger footprint of today's designs.

Last edited:
I always had hulls that had offset sponsons..
Cajun bullets, Avengers, Cobras, Jags...

I think my twin eagle ran with no offset..
I did have a 1.01 SGX, but it was built by CMDI and I never ran it, so I can't tell you how it was setup...

I always had hulls that had offset sponsons..
Cajun bullets, Avengers, Cobras, Jags...

I think my twin eagle ran with no offset..
I did have a 1.01 SGX, but it was built by CMDI and I never ran it, so I can't tell you how it was setup...
Back in prehistoric times, about 100 years before you were born it wasn't thatta way... Not in the mainstream anyway. :)

I built a 20 Northwind with a Super Tigre X-15 in it that should have had the drive offset for torque compensation - didn't understand that back then.

Back