Help Me Pick A Sport 20 and Sport 40 Hydro .

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope...I've got 2 ml boatworks kits on jigs. They are notched...scale kits. Not sure about the 20 kits...one thing I prefer on my kits is that they are cnc cut opposed to laser cut. Both are precise, however the notches on a laser cut kit should be sanded to provide a good glue bond. CNC cuts don't burn and don't need to be sanded. Mike does amazing work and his kits are beautiful. I'm partial to mine of course...

Last edited:
Is that tank shape required to get enough fuel in the boat?

I like the look of the cowl!

Grim

Yes as far as the tee pee on the tank...I run mac 21's and they are thirsty...there's also a small hopper tank under the deck. John seltzer makes the tanks for me...
And thank you

Attachments

• 20200226_194928.jpg
    20200226_194928.jpg
    683.2 KB · Views: 51
I didn't know Blazer was still doing kits. I sent him an email a while back and didn't get a reply or I would have suggested his boats first, followed by the Pak
that's because you have to get in touch with Bob Blazer he's running the show. i would build the Blazer sport 40 again. i had one years ago and i'm contemplating doing another....the bad thing is that nitro is basically dead in my neck of the woods. so if i build it it may never see race action...oh well.

Last edited:
that's because you have to get in touch with Bob Blazer he's running the show. i would build the Blazer sport 40 again. i had one years ago and i'm contemplating doing another....the bad thing is that nitro is basically dead in my neck of the woods. so if i build it it may never see race action...oh well.
I sent an email to the address given on the website, haven't heard anything back yet. Is there another address I can send an email to?

Looking for my first 2 new kits . I have decided to do a Sport 20 first and then a Sport 40 before I go full bore and build and race 1/8 Scale Hydro . I already bought a Novarossi 21 and a Novarossi 67 engines .
The good news is you have many options and all of them are proven hulls. I believe even Mike Hughes has a sport 20 as well that he can cut out for you, I would look to see which one you like the layout that will work best for yourself and looks. With multiple boats to choose from, it is a good problem to have :) Hope to see you on the pond. Here is a thread on here about sport 20s so you can see more of them Sport 20 Rollcall

The Dumas Eagle is a awesome sport 40 kit. If you can find one that is. It would really get you ready for building a 1/8th.

The Dumas Eagle is a awesome sport 40 kit. If you can find one that is. It would really get you ready for building a 1/8th.
Funny you would say that one. I have one that I'm going to build and have worked out a deal to get some fiberglass cowls made from the vacuplastic cowl that came with it. Dumas has stopped producing it and everything that goes along with it. That means the only way to get one is to find someone that has one and let them make templates, cut a kit for you or (good luck) find one on Ebay

I had the Drag N Fly round nose sport 40, and the eagle back when. Both with the same Sig Rossi 40 and hardware. The Drag N Fly was a pain to trim out but the eagle was very simple to trim. Templates forget that. I once hand cut a Dumas Hawk from templates, it is a lot of work, I ended up simply cutting balsa templates and sealed the edges with CA glue, and made the marine plywood a bit larger and sanded to shape "hence why I sealed the edges of the balsa" made a awesome hard surface to sand up to. I'll never do that again.

It's not all that different than building from plans. You have to remember, templates could be nothing more than photocopies of parts that are glued to the wood and the parts cut out from there. The nice part about building from plans or templates is you can make changes and not be out anything, unlike a kit where you would be scrapping parts to make changes

Those boats wouldn’t compete with today’s hulls.
Are you talking the Eagle and Drag N Fly?
I could agree with you on the Drag N Fly but the Eagle, if built lite enough, could probably hold its own if the driver really knows what he's doing. You have to remember, the Miss Madison(1973 Pay'N Pak hull) won it's last race against the likes of the Griffon Bud and the Hanauer piloted Atlas, both of which seriously outclassed Ron Snyder's 10+ year old ride. Then again, Snyder was, for lack of a better word, almost afraid of the new boat Madison received in July of 1988. Come to think about it, I don't remember him driving a boat of that caliber again after the blow over in San Diego. Okay, enough of the off topic stuff for me

Latest posts

Back