Help me paint my stealth hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Engelhardt

Need information on what spray paints will work on a nitro boat. I don't care of the price but want to be able to buy locally

There are options...use a regular rattle can...then clear coat it with Spraymax 2k clear...that is the most cost effective way to get a easy finish and make it fuel proof...spraymax 2k clear runs in the $20 range...i get mine from a auto paint supplier

Attachments

• Capture+_2020-09-18-18-15-07.png
    Capture+_2020-09-18-18-15-07.png
    645.4 KB · Views: 38
Mike ...
Another option is to go to your local Auto paint supplier and ask if they can mix a custom color and put it in a spray can for you...my local BAPS auto paint supplier has the capability to to that...you get a color of your choosing as a base color...then clear it with 2k clear...its the closest thing to a real spray booth paint job and never buying all the gear and supplies...this tunnel os an example...Dodge Charger orange base.. with vinyl trim and cleared with Spraymax 2k...

Attachments

• 20190504_174549.jpg
    20190504_174549.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 64
Mike Spray max 2K Clear coat that Roberts talking about is what Jeff used on his sport 40 I thought it turned out pretty good.
Just make sure whatever you use underneath it is compatible.

Jim

I spray PPG concept. Its comes out with a gloss coat. No need for clear. One less thing to buy and shoot. I dont clear over vinyl mosting with rigger and monos. Only on the scales do I add the clear.

When it comes to RC boats.. I dont use any rattle cans.. I can say however I have not used the 2K clear.. so maybe thats OK.

My Sport 40 (Super Sport 45) was pained with base coat clear coat.. It was the first time I did that and its nice ( 10 years old) but I would rather use single stage. I painted my Bell 212 using PPGs "SHOP LINE" .. All I can say is I AM HOOKED.. that will be my go to from now on... no clear..

Attachments

• IMG_1131-X3.jpg
    IMG_1131-X3.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Stuff (12).jpg
    Stuff (12).jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 39
I have used PPG for years
If you seal the motor compartment with West System or Mass. sand to 240-400.

You can spray PPG SINGLE STAGE and it will take the nitro and oils and will not LIFT

DON ‘T spay primer. Spray right on the on the sanded West or Mass

I have been spraying Createx AutoAir colors for several recent boats and have been very happy. It's an inexpensive water based paint with a pretty good variety of colors. I have used the Spraymax 2K with good results, but went I bought a Sata Minijet I switched to Southern Polyeurothanes Universal clear. It's about $100 for 2 quarts.

Createx also have color matched primers so you don't have to spray so much paint to get good color depth. I sprayed a bunch of coupons with different primer colors versus primary colors to see the difference.

Attachments

• IMG_3283.JPG
    IMG_3283.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3518.JPG
    IMG_3518.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3604.JPG
    IMG_3604.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3762.JPG
    IMG_3762.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 58
That's all I use on my boats. Acrylics are so easy to work with and clean up is awesome. I use U-pol with UV protection for my clear. 2 coats and done

I picked up some Createx AutoAir candy paints that I'm going to try on both fiberglass and wood boats that I'm building. I've never used the Auto Air colors before and I'm hoping to rattle can a metal flake silver base coat, scuff sand it then lay down the candy colors and clear coat them with an automotive clear coat.
Anyone done it this way, how did it work?

Createx is all i use.. I do rattle can white. I'm working on a 10th scale Smokin Joe's right now. Have had no issue putting on wood or glass. I do suggest you reduce the paint. U-pol auto clear uv protection

Attachments

• 1009081924.jpg
    1009081924.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0579.jpg
    IMG_0579.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 009-15.jpg
    009-15.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 1009081925.jpg
    1009081925.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
WOW!, Those look great guy's. I'm looking forward to using the Createx. What reducer and ratio do you use?

WOW!, Those look great guy's. I'm looking forward to using the Createx. What reducer and ratio do you use?

I recommend using their entire system from primer (they call sealer), base coat colors, mixed with their reducer, and balancing clear. Then you can use any 2k clear on top.

The mix ratios vary depending on if it’s pearlized, semi-opaque, or candy colors, and can be found in their guide (attached).

Also they are pretty transparent and you build the paint layers to get the final color outcome. Just by using a white, silver, or black sealer (primer), can really change the final color, so test before putting on the boat.

Attachments

• Auto-Air-Colors-Quick-Reference-Guide.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 17
Back