Header Gasket Materials

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetpack

For those that cut their own header gaskets, what is your favorite material, thickness, source and methods for cutting...

I use paper gasket material. I bought a big roll from Canadian Tire while I visited Canada last time. I am sure Auto Zone or even Walmart might carry it in the auto section.

The most difficult part is the holes for the bolts. I have found an easy way...Use a K&S brass tubing of the diameter of the bolt and sharpen the inner edge. Then use it as a punch on a block of 2X4. The holes cut this way are very clean.

I use a combination of ExActo blade and cuticle scissors to cut the gasket. In fact, I cut gaskets for the front and back housing this way as well and they fit very nicely.

For those that cut their own header gaskets, what is your favorite material, thickness, source and methods for cutting...
I use two types of header gasket materials that come in sheets. Garlock high temperature (-40 to 650 deg F) & John Crane foil (-400 to 850 deg F). The Garlock material can be easily cut with sharp punches & tools from either side. The John Crane foil is more difficult to use & can only be cut from the unprinted side. Both materials I use are 1/32" thick, but they also come in 1/16" & 1/8" thickness. McMaster-Carr part #13015K51 (15" X 15")for the Garlock material & #95715K61 (12" X 12") for the John Crane material.

Both materials resist some acids, alkalines, water, grease, oils & detergents

Jim Allen

Last edited by a moderator:
No gasket, lap both surfaces flat, I use a sheet of 320 grit wet or dry sand paper on a glass plate with WD 40 as a lubricant and a small amount of 598 BR silicone as a sealer. Remove the top thread in the bolt holes with a light chamfer. No blown gasket and no leaks.

Back