Head button material preference?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason that Jack O'Donnell recommended 4032 is that the expansion rate of 4032 closely matches the expansion rate of the brass sleeve.

If the head expands faster and more than the sleeve it will open up the top of the sleeve away from the piston and cause the engine to loose compression.

Charles

Last edited:
I have used 2011 with good result. Easier to find. I liked how it machined. Mark Anderson and I bought 6' of it to split years ago. Still have about 1' left.
Mike

The reason that Jack O'Donnell recommended 4032 is that the expansion rate of 4032 closely matches the expansion rate of the brass sleeve.

If the head expands faster than the sleeve it will open up the top of the sleeve away from the piston and cause the engine to loose compression.

Charles
For those of you that may not know, Jack O'Donnell and I were very close friends for over 40 years....we had many, many conversations about our toy motors.
He was one of the top 2 cycle engine experts in the world.

For those of you that may not know, Jack O'Donnell and I were very close friends for over 40 years....we had many, many conversations about our toy motors.
He was one of the top 2 cycle engine experts in the world.
Who knew!!!! Sorry Charles, not many of us left!!! Can you imagine friends for that many years! For me it’s the most difficult thing about aging, losing so many friends that share the same passion for high performance 2 cycle engines!!!

Who knew!!!! Sorry Charles, not many of us left!!! Can you imagine friends for that many years! For me it’s the most difficult thing about aging, losing so many friends that share the same passion for high performance 2 cycle engines!!!

Yes, it is not the thought of getting old that bothers me....like you said, it is loosing the long time friends.

Terry, thinking about your engine dyno have you tried making a couple pulls and sweeping your engine head temp?

So far CHT is running around 300F, that's with the thermocouple mounted to a ring lug under the plug. IR gun can show 25-50* less.

full

Did a little more digging on this while having my morning coffee.

Below are the thermal expansion (micron/C*) and thermal conductivity (watts per meter-kelvin) for some of our materials:

360 brass: 20.5 / 115

2024 aluminum: 23.2 / 143

7075 aluminum: 23.6 / 130

RSA431: 15.5 / 120

4032 aluminum: 19.4 / 140

You can see the expansion rate of 4032 aluminum is very close to brass, maybe why Jack liked it best in his tether cars. Or maybe he used 4032 sleeves as well?

I also chatted with Neal Lickford on this (worked with Henry Nelson for years) and he figured with water cooling the head would always stay cooler than the brass sleeve, just another consideration. Nelson's use 2024 BTW.

Interesting that brass doesn't conduct heat very well, wonder why guys are using it for heads?

Think I'll save my 431 for making pistons. :)

Last edited:
Did a little more digging on this while having my morning coffee.

Below are the thermal expansion (micron/C*) and thermal conductivity (watts per meter-kelvin) for some of our materials:

360 brass: 20.5 / 115

2024 aluminum: 23.2 / 143

7075 aluminum: 23.6 / 130

RSA431: 15.5 / 120

4032 aluminum: 19.4 / 140

You can see the expansion rate of 4032 aluminum is very close to brass, maybe why Jack liked it best in his tether cars. Or maybe he used 4032 sleeves as well?

I also chatted with Neal Lickford on this (worked with Henry Nelson for years) and he figured with water cooling the head would always stay cooler than the brass sleeve, just another consideration. Nelson's use 2024 BTW.

Interesting that brass doesn't conduct heat very well, wonder why guys are using it for heads?

Think I'll save my 431 for making pistons. :)
Jack used brass or other materials for sleeves but no aluminum in the tether cars. Only brass in his marine engines.

Doesn't Nelson run aluminum sleeves in some of their engines????

Charles

Back