Hardware For Wild Thing .21

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzMandella

So I am starting to order hardware for my ML Boatworks Wild Thing .21 . As far as trim tabs go the original plans call for tabs that are 2" Long and 1-7/8" Wide on one end tapering to 1-1/8" on the other end . I do not see any thing like that from any manufacturer . I also am inclined to go with the billet trim tabs . The thin guage tabs with one screw pushing down in the middle I do not like . When you are adjusting them down it is not hinged therefore it is slightly bowing the trim tab rather than staying flat . I am thinking something like this.

1607543980844.png
1607544003588.png

Also what is the reason the port side turn fin is shorter than the starboard side ?

The thin metal with one screw is what I use and others in my club use the metal is way stronger then you think the right turn fin may be longer because we mainly turn right when racing Jeff

I wasn't questioning their strength . What I wonder about is since they are not hinged that they bow as you push them down creating a hook in them . I know when we blueprint the bottom of real race boats we pay extra attention to the bottom of the floor right at the transom . They tend to have a little hook to them when they come out of the mold and that little hook causes all kinds of handling problems . Once we sand the floor flat they handle much better . Another thing we do with our race boats is we spray the bottom 2/3 or less with graphite . The graphite reduces water tension . I'm surprised nobody has adapted that to RC boats .

john finch originally made those trim tabs out of some aluminum he had, i made the same tabs he did and they work, sometimes the guy in the rescue boat is a little rough and banges the tabs . i would think you could use the tabs you have pictured. i have seen some use graphite or some kind of coating but blueprinting is important, flat and sharp edges. fun boat, you will have fun with it

my first one just had a stuffing tube out the back like in the directions, next one i built i used a strut for more adjustability.the strut was nicer to adjust. there was a ton of wild things built over the years, i am sure more will chime in on there builds

Two of my friends built them. One, I don't know if he still comes in here or not, David Homer didn't use any trim tabs on his, just a bead of thick CA along the back of the transom, another John Finch trick.
I had the .12 version that Mike Zaborowski built, it didn't need a turn fin or trim tabs.

Back