Hard mounting servos?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Olly in our Hydro's it seems that most rudder servo's are laying flat which could lead to some more vibration, I always put a thin piece of foam under mine. I think it's best to try to eliminate any vibration for all the components so use the rubber grommets or foam and a baggie with foam for the RX. I'll miss seeing you in FL. Olly hope you are well! Tim

Olly in our Hydro's it seems that most rudder servo's are laying flat which could lead to some more vibration, I always put a thin piece of foam under mine. I think it's best to try to eliminate any vibration for all the components so use the rubber grommets or foam and a baggie with foam for the RX. I'll miss seeing you in FL. Olly hope you are well! Tim
Olly,
If you hard mount your servos Please let me know so I can order more servos as the vibration will kill them Quick ask the guys that fly airplanes, as they are the ones that have shown me what happens when they are hard mounted. It cost me an airplane.
Walt Barney

Can't speak for the micro servos but I've mounted my rudder servos in solid mounts for as long as I can remember with zero failures. Lucky maybe but it works for me.

Olly
I use cheap servos that many say are failure prone. I have several that are hard mounted laying on there sides with hours of use and no problems. Is it best practice, no, but some installations are just troublesome to use the grommets.

I prefer to use mounts that have enough clearance so they float on the rubbers that were meant to mount them without it being able to make solid contact with the mount.

Last edited:
I have always laid them down. Stick them in place on their sides with carpet tape to help hold them steady/locate them. Then zip tied them to hold them firmly in place. No more failures doing that than anyone else.

I am still a newbie” with racing rc boats, I have owned multiple rc cars and other radio controlled vehicles over the years and was always told to avoid cheap, no-named, and underpowered electronics by many experienced hobbyists. So when I built my first JAE 12 rigger to start racing nitro boats, I researched and bought the best mini and micro servos available. And i followed the build sheet that comes with this kit that has the servos completely held in place with wooden servo mounts. I have yet to experience a single servo failure or damage to either servo using the wooden servo mounts included in my kit, and my 12 rigger has been through multiple seasons of racing and testing, several minor crashes without any issues from the servos being mounted to wood. But adding some sort of dampening to any of the electronics can’t hurt. As long as it is not allowing the servo to shift around at all. I use Kyosho Zeal which was designed for drones to keep videos or camera images smooth and not blurry. that stuff works great for me. So far my wood mounted servos have lasted just fine. I personally think using quality radio gear and servos does help prevent servo damage and signal failures. To me it seems like cheap insurance to keep all of the beautiful and expensive rc boats I see at races under control and brought back to shore in one piece. I apologize for this long post. “can’t fall asleep tonight!”

This is how I make my mounts. Fully floating on the rubbers only.

Doesn't get any better than these. You want them done right do them yourself. Lol.

D0vyZ79.jpg

qnuHyIY.jpg

How do you get them out of the boat if you need to?

Grim

Remove the 2- 6-32's that hold the bracket to the floor of the radio box and unbolt the servo.

Takes less that 5 minutes to swap entirely.

If you use a decent servo you will almost never need to replace one unless you just wear it out.

The last 30 boats I have built are still running the same Savox 1210's the boats were originally built with.

Back