Gripe!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry if I misspoke, I didn't read it, I saw the information about the internal antenna on the video Grim posted..label facing up..
In fact, it's positioned that way in the yellow sport boat in the video...

My thoughts were the same, if the receiver is mounted to the lid of the radio box inverted, then does the signal need to pass thru the PCB ?? That's an issue for me....

Last edited:
I replaced 14 recievers and antennas but forgot that one boat. You give super good advice . I'm just frustrated that the old crystal radios never had any issues for me and I'm having problems catching up to this "improved" technology.

Wes, this is exactly where I am now....I purchased another members DSM radio and 13 recievers as the threat of NAMBA requiring them to race looms large,,,

He was upgrading his radio and all of his boats, and from what others have said his older DSM setup is pretty bullet proof.

Currently I have all PCM 1024 Magnum Futabas, which I consider to be Futabas finest radio EVER!
I hate the fact that I'm being forced to mothball such good equipment, this DSM stuff may grow on me over time, but hearing stories about roostertails causing signal loss is not boosting my confidence....it's not the first time I have heard about this either..

Mike is going to tell everyone best practices weather they are in print elsewhere or not. I would bet if you look in any of his boats, they will be set up using best practices as everyone should strive for. New technology requires you to reevaluate your setups and thinking sometimes. It's is readily admitted by the op that he didn't follow accepted best practices and it bit him.
If you hold the rudder servo and deflect it what does the 500mah battery hold for voltage under load? I have seen a bunch of problems caused by batteries too small to carry the load.

So don’t bend the coax what’s the best way to keep it from falling in the tube other then glue it

I use the end of a 4in zip tie! Clip the end and use it as a wedge to hold the cable.

Attachments

• 20220629_201913.jpg
    20220629_201913.jpg
    877.8 KB · Views: 0
So don’t bend the coax what’s the best way to keep it from falling in the tube other then glue it
A little dab of clear silicone where it enters the base of the antenna tube. It will still hold the lead if you need to remove and reinstall. Been doing it this way for years, even pre DSM. :cool:

maybe I should have shared this before. this is the install in my Sport 40.. the battery pack is below the RX and GPS. The small block near the servos is a chunk of foam with some vetrap on it as a filler block. Questions please ask. Grim

Attachments

• 20220629_202941.jpg
    20220629_202941.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220629_203003.jpg
    20220629_203003.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
This is the kind of crap people will do when you give them too much coax to work with.

Seen this type of thing so many times. They want long antenna so they can botch it even worse. This one is somebodies play boat obviously but I have seen this same garbage done with full on race boats. 2.4ghz coax and remote mounting don't mix.

EeRV4A9.jpg

Yep... Mike is correct.. its all about the numbers... we ARE the LOWEST market share in the RC industry. Speaking with futaba as much as I have over the years they DO understand this but in the end.. the numbers have to work.

Having said this.. the current radio systems DO WORK in model boating. We are faced with a few challenges however. Water being the number one.. the fact that on MOST RC boat racing courses we CAN "GO LONG" . The sport boater on a lake! Well.. you get it.

One can say the same for an RC car on a road but they become a dot in a big hurry.

I have stated this before some place on here. A 50in boat becomes a "challenge" to drive at 700feet (213m). Past that point its just keeps getting tougher.

Futaba rates "most" of there systems for 100m. My testing has shown that if the systems are installed with "intent" they will do far better then that!

Anyway.. have a great day everybody!

Grim

Yep... Mike is correct.. its all about the numbers... we ARE the LOWEST market share in the RC industry. Speaking with futaba as much as I have over the years they DO understand this but in the end.. the numbers have to work.

Having said this.. the current radio systems DO WORK in model boating. We are faced with a few challenges however. Water being the number one.. the fact that on MOST RC boat racing courses we CAN "GO LONG" . The sport boater on a lake! Well.. you get it.

One can say the same for an RC car on a road but they become a dot in a big hurry.

I have stated this before some place on here. A 50in boat becomes a "challenge" to drive at 700feet (213m). Past that point its just keeps getting tougher.

Futaba rates "most" of there systems for 100m. My testing has shown that if the systems are installed with "intent" they will do far better then that!

Anyway.. have a great day everybody!

Grim
Grim, what are the distances the rc car guys are running when top speed trialing their cars? I know the speeds are incredible but haven’t heard the distance. Most videos show drivers standing on the ground behind the cars and the cars disappearing in a heartbeat.
Thanks, John

I did see a car going up I-75 north of Atlanta going about 80 mph with the passenger hanging out the side driving an electric r/c car until he zigged when he should of zagged and a semi ran the r/c car over actually he ran into the rear tires of the tractor and the trailer finished it off

Grim, what are the distances the rc car guys are running when top speed trialing their cars? I know the speeds are incredible but haven’t heard the distance. Most videos show drivers standing on the ground behind the cars and the cars disappearing in a heartbeat.
Thanks, John
I am not sure.. one would have to ask Nic Case.

I think many of the car guys stand on ladders so they can see the cars more so than range issues. Cars lack roostertails making them more difficult to sight at distances.

The longest range course I know of and have been to is the Munich Olympic rowing facility. The full length is over 2km long and we rent out about 750m on one end. The driver stand is elevated, but people also drive from the dock on the water to both ends, 325m each way. At least for my riggers I had no range issues with my FASST or FHSS equipped boats.
IMG_9898R.JPG

Back