Greatest Of All Time Nitro Racer.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the Nitro racers mentioned and more certainly deserved to be recognized. And there are more. To name one absolute best is really impossible considering that racers all have different situations in their lives and their racing environment.

That said, it's great to see the different names listed of current and past great racers, so don't stop adding to the list.

And I will add one. 

Gus Johnson! 

During his time he was a dominate force in the 1/8 Scale and Sport 40 classes. Gus designed and built his own boats.
My dad  flew controline speed with Don Pinckert and Gus.     Gus did do great in those classes you mentioned.   I will add that even though  Gus built his own boats his sport 40 had front sponsons that were traced and built from Pinckerts Coyote.  Don sent him templates.  Not taking away from Gus,  he was very capable and built and raced his boats, but did want to give some credit  were credit is do about Pinckert helping him.  

Not to get off topic, as Jeff mentioned, many of us got our first introduction to Nitro powered engines flying  Control line planes in some form. I first got involved with Mouse racing in 1977. 

You always know who the best guy is...the one in your heat that makes you tell yourself "I have to beat him to win".

There are great point getters and great racers.  Very few are both.

MG

I'm going with the Godfather of Tunnel boats

John Otto

Hall of fame  NAMBA, 

SEVERAL US1

INDY GREEN JACKET

WORLD RECORD HOLDER

John also supports the hobby

So I think he falls into this category 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this is a interesting topic & we all have our opinion of the BEST. In my Era of Racing Andy, Marty, Stu, Ralph & Jerry Crowther have all contributed Personal time & Money to Help every Boater that ask for their Help. It will be a shame if the IMPBA HOF does not One day have every single one of their Names in the HOF. as for racing we all have that One Great Heat race that you will never forget. Mine was against John Brown in a 60 Hydro heat at the nationals. We both jumped the start & raced deck to deck for 6 laps to finally pass the 1st place boat. we both split the 1st place boat between 6 & the finish line... we always appreciate the guy that will race you that close & that clean... IMPBA HOF Needs a few New names in it...

Joe,

You just have to do some paperwork and try to get them all inducted.

Good Luck,

Mark Sholund

In my opinion as far as technology, a lot of people have brought boating to the current point we are. The boat designers, people that pushed the design envelope, the ones that did it even though they were told it wouldn't work. The people that have designed new hardware and accessories.

David Frank and Jerry Dunlap for me was a part of early boat design. The David Frank sport 40 was way ahead of it's time and has been copied ever since then in some form and slight changes to the top. There has been a lot of innovators and my Hats off to them for their time and creativity.

Lots of great names on the list.
Ed Hughey, I finally met him at Hobart, we talked like a couple of gossipy old ladies!
Rod Geraghty. He called me one night. When I saw his name on my Caller ID I about went nuts! We talked .12 motors. He'd show up at Hobart to help anyone but didn't race there. He would have huge bags of candy for kids coming through or us older kids also.
Jerry Dunlap. It's hard to find someone at his age so full of energy.
There are many others on the list already mentioned. One omitted so far is John Finch. I don't know where many of us would be without his books on RC Boating as I almost wore out the pages of them making notes and dog-earring them for later reference.
Ernie and his gang took care of us during the 2002 Internat's, feeding those working the race and cold Miller Lite's after the racing was over for the day.

Latest posts

Back