Greatest Of All Time Nitro Racer.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffmaturo

Here is the criteria. 

1. WINS
  2. TITLES
  3. Prestigious Race Wins 
I enjoy coming to this forum very much and thought this would be an interesting topic. Let's keep it civil and be prepared to back up your GOAT nitro racer. 

I will go first. 

My pick would be Jerry Crowther.

Here is why:

1. Most wins in a mono
  2. Consistent
  3. When you race against Jerry, you are racing for 2nd. 
  4. Knowledge of set up, props, motors and fuel. 
  5. Understands the importance of the start of a race. 

Oh man, Theres a multitude of guys you can put in there. Jerry no doubt

Stan Simpson has to be in to double digit US-1 titles by this point.

Tommy Lee is a name that isn’t tossed around lightly.

This is like any sport, each generation has a name that resonates immediately.

Many of the 'Best of the Best' racers have been named.  Not easy to pick just one.

One point about the criteria to think about is the classes that racers mostly compete in.  Some are easier to dominate than others.

I would have to also agree that Ernie LaFluer is the Top stand out in my mind. 

Ernie raced only as a hobby.

Ernie raced a wide variety of classes and used a wide variety of products.

All while maintaining his automotive business and his young and growing family.

Andy is being modest.  He definitely deserves to be on this list.  How many people from the US can claim an international nitro win?  From the west coast I think of people like Mark Grimm (most of the NAMBA rigger records and many Nationals wins), Doug Dewitt (many Nationals wins from a wheelchair), Alfred Lanza (high points Nationals winner several years), Eric Bourlet (sport 40 king with at least 4 Nationals wins), and Jerry Dunlap (tunnel king).  There are surely others, but my old memory is limited.

Lohring Miller

Boaters,

My top five would be:

Ernie LaFluer,

Jim Wilson,

Jerry Crowther,

Andy Brown,

Stu Barr

There are many others, but these would be my picks for race wins, and knowledge of the complete race package.

A one or two of these are still  not even in the Hall Of Fame Yet?

I do not understand that at all.

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

Boaters,

My top five would be:

Ernie LaFluer,

Jim Wilson,

Jerry Crowther,

Andy Brown,

Stu Barr

There are many others, but these would be my picks for race wins, and knowledge of the complete race package.

A one or two of these are still  not even in the Hall Of Fame Yet?

I do not understand that at all.

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund
Good chooses Mark.

As Andy said, many of the 'Best of the Best' racers have been named. In the 40 years I have been involved in the hobby, I have been fortunate to have raced from the left coast to the right cost and in-between. At the TOP of my list would be Jim Whitlatch.  When Jim raced, everyone stopped what they were doing to watch. He held numerous records and National Titles throughout the 70’s into the 80’s. First and foremost, Jim Whitlatch was a Gentleman but also a world class competitor. Fast, lane 1 and on the start.  The man to beat. Jim would always share his knowledge, and was a  mentor to many of us.  

I would like to mention Eric Swenson, back in the day when nitro was hot and I was just starting off., I always got a kick out of watching this cat race, his driving skills were impressive to say the least, and his boats rockets!...remember many a times when he would jump the start just to make a race out of it.  Man!..I was so looking forward to his come back.

As Andy said, many of the 'Best of the Best' racers have been named. In the 40 years I have been involved in the hobby, I have been fortunate to have raced from the left coast to the right cost and in-between. At the TOP of my list would be Jim Whitlatch.  When Jim raced, everyone stopped what they were doing to watch. He held numerous records and National Titles throughout the 70’s into the 80’s. First and foremost, Jim Whitlatch was a Gentleman but also a world class competitor. Fast, lane 1 and on the start.  The man to beat. Jim would always share his knowledge, and was a  mentor to many of us.  
I had the honor of watching Jim Whitlatch race his 60 Wing Ding at the 1978 NAMBA Nats.  Truley a great nitro boat racer!

I learned something from Jim that I still use today.  Jim used wire to secure his pipe coupler.  It has worked for me for 40+  years.

There are several Nitro racers from the 70s and 80s who no longer race that are very eligible.  I can also think of a few from across the Big Ponds.

299.jpg

All of the Nitro racers mentioned and more certainly deserved to be recognized. And there are more. To name one absolute best is really impossible considering that racers all have different situations in their lives and their racing environment.

That said, it's great to see the different names listed of current and past great racers, so don't stop adding to the list.

And I will add one. 

Gus Johnson! 

During his time he was a dominate force in the 1/8 Scale and Sport 40 classes. Gus designed and built his own boats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back