GO .18 engine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Bowf

Awhile back I had said that I had received a GO engine and would like to try it out. Well, I got some more time with it recently, and would like to pass on what I think I have figured out.

First off, the engine seemed to have high torque out of the box. It would pretty easily turn an X440 (not stock prop) that my CVRM would not turn. Problem I was having is that it would not turn it at a high RPM. Best speed I got from it with a stock MV hull was a little under 35 MPH. It would not turn my usual Y535 at high enough RPM to get close to this speed. The speed I got with the x440 kind of puts it on par with a stock AQ engine.

After taking the engine apart and measuring everything...I found that the bottom end looked better than the AQ engine, yet the head button had very small volume and had a high head clearance (.022) out of the box. It also had a high compression ratio (10.4 to 1). As a comparison, the CVRM has a stock ratio of 7.5 to 1. The high compression ratio would explain the high torque and low RPM.

I made a new head button for the engine, that lowered the head clearance to about .007 and the compression ratio to about 8.8 to 1. With everything else stock on the engine, I was now able to turn the Y535 with more RPM, yet it still turned the X440, but not as good as it used to. I did not have a lot of time to get a final tune on the boat/engine, but we pretty quickly got it to 36 MPH with the Y535. I think with a little more time with it we could have been at 37 or 38 MPH.

This is pretty good for a sub $100 engine, and is better than the stock AQ engine in the same hull. It is still a bit slower than the CVRM though (but a lot cheaper). Not sure what is a "real" GO engine and what is not, but they are on Ebay for $65 each.

I think if I lower the compression ratio a little bit more, I would be able to get more RPM out of the engine, and more speed. It does not seem to have too much of a problem turning the Y535 prop.

The throat of the carb is about 18% smaller than the CVRM. I think this may hinder its performance, but the CVRM and TZ have the same carb bore. With this in mind, I would think the GO would be able to get to where the CVRM is with it's stock carb and some more experimenting with the engine.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Awhile back I had said that I had received a GO engine and would like to try it out. Well, I got some more time with it recently, and would like to pass on what I think I have figured out. I will try to keep it simple.

First off, the engine seemed to have high torque out of the box. It would pretty easily turn an X440 (not stock) that my CVRM would not turn. Problem I was having is that it would not turn it at a high RPM. Best speed I got from it with a stock MV hull was a little under 35 MPH. It would not turn my usual Y535 at high enough RPM to get close to this. This kind of puts it on par with a stock AQ engine.

After taking the engine apart and measuring everything...I found that the bottom end looked better than the AQ engine, yet the head button had not volume and had a high head clearance (.022) out of the box. It also had a high compression ratio (10.4 to 1). As a comparison, the CVRM has a stock ratio of 7.5 to 1. This would explain the high torque and low RPM.

I made a new head button for the engine, that lowered the head clearance to about .007 and the compression ratio to about 8.8 to 1. With everything else stock on the engine, I was now able to turn the Y535 with more RPM, yet it still turned the X440, but not as good as it used to. I did not have a lot of time to get a final tune on the boat/engine, but we pretty quickly go it to 36 MPH with the Y535.

This is pretty good for a sub $100 engine, and is better than the stock AQ engine in the same hull. It is still a bit slower than the CVRM though.

I think if I lower the compression ratio a little bit more, I would be able to get more RPM out of the engine, and more speed. It does not seem to have too much of a problem turning the Y535 prop.

The throat of the carb is about 18% smaller than the CVRM. I think this may hinder its performance, but the CVRM and TZ have the same carb bore. With this in mind, I would think the GO would be able to get to where the CVRM is with it's stock carb and some more experimenting with the engine.

Sean
please keep use posted about it...

Here (click) is where I got my GO engine from. It is a rear exhaust...but from what I gather, the inside of the engine (port timing, etc) are the same with the side exhaust engine.

They are in the consignment section.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
any updates about how the motor's going

I have 3 of them, 1 in the boat & 2 in box's as back up

They seem to go okay, not high in rpm like you said but I've heard that you can mod the head for extra rpm's.

I run mine on 20% with the y535 prop & got 33.4km/h on gps was wondering about adding higher nitro levels to bring up the speed???

I had a little Free Time on my hands today So I designed the Perfect Tuned Pipe for my Modified Go .18 on Solid Works(CAD)

I have to ask.. What makes it the Perfect Tuned Pipe for a (your) Modified Go .18?

Thanks in advance.

Grim

All the stock stuff will get ya to 38mph heat racing speeds. That was with a GR 36x55 recommended prop as well.

Sorry No Mass production I was just Bored at Work waiting on the holiday and playing with the Photo View Rendering on my 3D CAD Software. "Keyboard Racing" ;)

Mike the Specs\Dimensions for the pipe were obtained using Marty Davis's engine analysis software. So According to the software this "Should Be" The One B) to squeeze a little more out of the Mods I've done. You know how it is The Need For Speed is Never completely Satisfied, ya reach one goal and set your sites on the next one :ph34r: But for now it's just "Keyboard Racing" until I take the time to make it and Try it.

Back