Glue or Solder?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my Octura flex cable and prop shaft today and curious which is the better way to join these together. On the Offshore Electrics website under the how to they recomend glueing the flex shaft into the prop shaft and the instructions that come with the flex cable say solder. I'll be running a 550 motor. Should I glue it or solder it? If glueing it would JB Weld work as well as the Locktite? Opinions welcome.

Offshore sell this cable and shaft already joined so I'm assumeing they used the glued method

Thank you in advance

I decided to go with the solder method. I dug out my old and I do mean old heavy duty soldering iron, the kind not used for electronic work. I tinned the end of the cable then filled the hole in the stub shaft with solder the sweated the two together then dressed up the joint..... Harold

Believe you will be happier with the solder method as it will be less chance for breakage at the joint and then dropping the prop in the water. Talk about a sick feeling!

Here's a pic of the solder joint. Need a better camera to get better pics

solderjoint.jpg

Back