Glow plug igniter

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawdaddy

I've been out of the hobby for several years so I have some catching up to do. What are the cool kids using for an igniter these days. I've used a radio south and a Beast by Eric but can't justify the cost of those two. Thanks for looking. Ryon

,I just use those old expanding collet type drivers,that grip the glow plug,,and use 2.5mm core wires,connected to a 6v 5xC cell nicad pack,that I got from an emergency light,including charger,,(a freebee),,soldered spade connectors to each cell,,just switch cell when needed,, I'm a cheap ass lol

Exactly!!
I did mean one cell at a time lol,,I suppose I could've explained better,,just thought I'd leave all the 5 cells together and have spare cells and use the 6 volt charger to charge them at the same time,,,and a shout out to Frank,,cheers mate

Last edited:
Guys,

I've got a couple of glow igniters that draw off one of my 12v starter batteries. I'm guessing there's a relay in the little box that is between the battery and the actual igniter connector. You can feel it buzzing when you make connection. There is also a red indicator LED that lights when you make connection, telling you instantly if the plug is bad. From what I was told, they put out the equivalent of about 2v. I can tell you the plug glows absolutely white hot, but they will glow indefinitely without any harm to the plug. I got them from Larry LaHue many moons ago. I think he told me he had McDaniel make a batch of them, and I think I got the last couple he had. Maybe somebody could contact McDaniel or design one that works this way...? They are pretty sweet, in that you only have to worry about one set of batteries, outside of the boats. As long as you've got starter battery, you've got glow battery.

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros
Model Machine and Precision LLC

Power panels are the oldest form of field box electronics. They drive the plug off 12 volt starter battery. Most have a gauge to see the connection load when applied and see to control the heat going to the plug with a rheostat . Variable heat.

Frank,

I'd guess the electronics behind the panel for the glow igniter is the same concept, but, the ones I have are a small 1"x1"x1/2" orange plastic box with wires leading to the battery and to the plug connecter. Like I said, Larry LaHue told me he had them made, and I believe he said McDaniel made them.

I'll see if I can get a pic this evening when I get home.

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros
Model Machine and Precision LLC

Ahhhh..... actually, I had one of those with dual glow plug leads on it. I used it on an old twin with OPS .80's in it. It worked perfectly except for the clips for the glow plugs... so I soldered wires onto the tips of a handful of plugs and used some small pin connectors to hook them to the wires coming out of the box. I cut a slit in the side of a 5/16 socket so I could tighten up the plug.

The throttle response was awesome!!! I could idle down to a crawl,, pull the trigger and the boat would just explode out of the hole.
A lot of people thought I had a clutch on the motors!!

I bet if I looked around in all of my electronic stuff I probably could find it! It's probably right next to my old tower hobbies power panel I have packed away too..... 🤪

I have been building them myself and the only real cost involved is the time. The components I get from amazon/ebay including convertor, relay and connectors are under 40CAN. and you can use any size lipo battery as long as you can fit into the case you want. I have been 3D printing the cases.

Back