GAS rigger measurements

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niklas Edlund

Good evening,

Looking for some basic measurements and info on some good gas riggers...

1. Length from transom to trailing edge on front sponsons ride surface.

2. Tub width.

3. Ride hight under the tub belly.

4. Total width of front sponsons ride surface.

5. What props are you using?

6. What size fuel tank & if you use a commersial one (plastic) - which one?

Thanks in advance! :)

/Niklas

Good evening,

Looking for some basic measurements and info on some good gas riggers...

1. Length from transom to trailing edge on front sponsons ride surface.

2. Tub width.

3. Ride hight under the tub belly.

4. Total width of front sponsons ride surface.

5. What props are you using?

6. What size fuel tank & if you use a commersial one (plastic) - which one?

Thanks in advance! :)

/Niklas
# 1 after plane not less than 26.50 more is better

# 2 5.00

# 3 3/4 to 7/8

# 4 5.00 total of both

# 5 2916 Dasboata

# 6 IV Bag 250 ml or 8 oz Walt Barney tank

Hope this will help

Gary

FCM Racing

Thanks Gary, :)

How long runtime do one get on 250 ml / 8 oz? (Im not a gas guy - 250 ml is just about perfect also for my 3,5 nitro riggers - LOL)

/Niklas

Last edited by a moderator:
Niklas, you getting ready to give the world your take on a gas rigger?

it would be way to cool if you did one like your freebie, love them sponsons.

Niklas, it really depends how you build one, but I would go for a 4 inch tub with an Iv bag. The rest really depends on the design and the purpose as for: distance trailing edge to front sponsons, ride height tub, prop etc.

Generally speaking with a light boat Octuare 2170 or ABC 2818.

Niklas, you getting ready to give the world your take on a gas rigger?

it would be way to cool if you did one like your freebie, love them sponsons.
Hi Tommy,

We'll see... :) Basically just searching info right now. But its a few guys here that want to build some and I might do the drawings for them... If so, I think I'll draw it for the inline RCMK engine (thats what these guys will use anywho). If it would be a freebie drawing it would either be a "theroretical" one this winter (if Im really happy with it) or needs to be an tested one in a year from now...!? I know there's interest for freebie drawings (in general) for sure. :)

/Niklas

Niklas, it really depends how you build one, but I would go for a 4 inch tub with an Iv bag. The rest really depends on the design and the purpose as for: distance trailing edge to front sponsons, ride height tub, prop etc.

Generally speaking with a light boat Octuare 2170 or ABC 2818.
Thanks,

How much space does an IV bag take (width/lenght/height) when full?

My basic thinking about tank volume etc is C-C spacing of the sponson tubes and tub length (in front of the motor). But it needs to be practical of course. But its no reason to have too much waste space (in my book). I just dont like riggers that "waste" space in front of the motor. If it can be made shorter I will do it to the point it gets unpractical and then back off a notch. :D

Ciao, Niklas

If trying to prevent wasted space, the best is to use a custom metal tank, like CMDI had in their riggers. The advantage of the IV bag is that you can squeeze it in any space as it is deformable. Iv bags come in many sizes so it's hard to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in the states, Id love to do some on the water testing, we have QD25's, a CMB 26cc motor, 91rs, twin 80 cmb's, wink wink!

plz build a twin 45 also.

If trying to prevent wasted spacethe best is to use a custom metal tak, like CMDI had in their riggers. The advantage of the IV bag is that you can squeeze it in any space as it is deformable. Iv bags come in many sizes so it's hard to say.
IV sizes: ok, got it. :)

If I draw one up I will make it so you could use a stock over the counter plastic tank also if you dont have the skills to make your own metal one I think... So for how long will a 8 oz / 250 ml tank move a gas rigger?

250 ml, depends what engine you have. The cast M&D is very thirsty and last about 3-4 minutes I think. mod zenoah about 4-5 and stock zenoah about 5-6.

Build the tub 5" wide!

Then you can use the Quick Release Engine Mounts.

You will hate yourself if you have to deal with the hassle of the "old school" crappy engine mounts.

If you have racing experience, you know you sometimes have to remove engines real quick to fix problems between heats.

If it's for SAW use whatever plywood thickness you choose, but it must handle a flip.

If it's for racing, use 3/16" or 1/4" plywood in the sides. I built my first gas rigger last year out of 1/8" plywood according to the drawings, but the whole %&£$@¤# boat broke after cathing some air.

Right now I'm building my first Twin Gas Rigger. I use 1/4" Plywood this time.

It's really not Rocket science to build a rigger, and you don't have to make drawings, it's plenty of drawings out on the market allready.

Back