Gas Bags ver. Hard tanks

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Danny, the only way water can get into a hard tank is through the vent line.
Normally, if the boat hasn't been upside down, it's a non issue. If the boat goes over AND the engine doesn't quit fairly quickly AND the vent tube open end is submerged due to being upside down, you will get water in the tank due to it being sucked in by the engine still drawing fuel. IF the vent line is a spiral, it is much harder for water to get into the tank if the vent is higher than the tank vent tube because water will run to any low point in the spiral. It would also be possible to keep water out of the tank by running a line to the pipe, like a nitro pressure line but I don't know how that would affect the fuel flow to the carb. Someone else would have to address that
I can see that for some guys. I’m pretty quick with shutting it down maybe that’s why I haven’t had the issue.
thanks.

The only thing I can say about this is if I spent all this time building and painting the boat and it looks awesome which
95 percent of them do why in the hell would you put that ugly ass gas Duce bag in your boat to start with me & Walt can build you a tank you would be proud to have in your boat and it will last as long as your boat thanks SS Custom Fuel Tanks

My personal preference is a soft Sullivan tank, the one that is kind of see thru. You can see what's going on inside, if the pickup is in the right place and if you have picked up any water on a flip. Easy to get the water out and easy to see that you have gotten all of it out. The bags are ok but they do get hard and need regular replacement. Don't care for the metal tanks in a gas boat at all.
mb

What bags are you using? The ones specifically made for gasoline, not IV bags, hold up well.

Lohring Miller

Probably used all kinds and brands that are available, but a month or so between runs and they won't go a second time. but it might be the funny gas I use.

This is my reply to the same question on the dock.

Basically it’s preference and what fits in your boat the best. Really can’t go wrong with a Barney or Steltzer custom tank either. I use a Sullivan hard tank in my scales with no problems and never had a problem with water getting into the vent line after a flip. If you coil the vent line it makes it difficult for water to enter into the tank and if it does it gets pushed out when refueling. There is no right or wrong, it’s what works best for you.

Attachments

• 490D50C6-3EE3-4FE3-A77C-EFFA4291B787.png
    490D50C6-3EE3-4FE3-A77C-EFFA4291B787.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back