G3 Backlash

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick update....boat is getting faster....tried 6719/3 554 and a 7217/2 450 last Sunday and changed out the rudder and I definitely saw a difference. The 3 blade settled the boat more than the 2 blade, but the 2 seemed faster....GPS will have to tell the difference. Last thing I think I need to do is get the steering rod captured.
I just changed out my steering pushrod. I had made one out of a carbon arrow shaft with 4-40 ends and recently noticed the ends were giving and coming back bent. I bought some 1/8 stainless rod and cut it the same length. I used a die and threaded both ends for 6-32 and then I ran a 6-32 tap into monster 4-40 ball links and then threaded them onto the shaft. It definitely solved the issue. Good to hear you’re making progress with the boat! Keep us updated!

I place my rudders on the left hand side on my Backlashes, so the servo is pulling to turn the boat right instead of pushing. Some will argue that there is a mechanical advantage for the servo pulling vs pushing, all I know is that it works very well !

Regards,

Ronnie King
NAMBA #1223

I just changed out my steering pushrod. I had made one out of a carbon arrow shaft with 4-40 ends and recently noticed the ends were giving and coming back bent. I bought some 1/8 stainless rod and cut it the same length. I used a die and threaded both ends for 6-32 and then I ran a 6-32 tap into monster 4-40 ball links and then threaded them onto the shaft. It definitely solved the issue. Good to hear you’re making progress with the boat! Keep us updated!
Yep Mark Bullard had showed that trick about using ss welding rod a long time ago.

So today was race day...I will be updating this thread as we race...this boat is fast....squared up against 3 other hulls and there is a noticeable difference.lesson for today speed kills but greed kills more. I miss the first heat because I left my drive home...got the drive just in time for the second heat...I laid down a 115.+ took the heat...last heat of the day...I'm in the lead by 1/2 lap and got a little greedy...caught a cross wind at the end of the front straightaway...ended my push for second..heartbreak...if I had just eased
Up...I could have had second for the day...on to the next one. Have to tighten her up a bit. Going to look at the turn fin..

"In the lead by half a lap"....

that's when it pays to have a very experienced caller..one of my mentors that called for me was very calming.. he would settle me down when things like that would start to happen.

He could see it coming and tell me to back down...you've got this won...just need to finish..your going into the wind now...

It was great to have a voice of reason standing beside me, when all I wanted to do is keep the hammer down !!
Thanks Louie (RIP) 👍

"In the lead by half a lap"....

that's when it pays to have a very experienced caller..one of my mentors that called for me was very calming.. he would settle me down when things like that would start to happen.

He could see it coming and tell me to back down...you've got this won...just need to finish..your going into the wind now...

It was great to have a voice of reason standing beside me, when all I wanted to do is keep the hammer down !!
Thanks Louie (RIP) 👍
YES! Exactly!

Race day update...so today the backlash had its first perfect day racing...Pitman told me " that boat is consistant" 1st heat I turned out a 1:03 2nd 1:09 and a 1:09 in the 3rd heat.......I wish I was ready at the start of the year...it's ready now.

Nice! Great boat. It's hard to beat a well set up Backlash and good driver in heat racing but don't put the bad pipe and motor in it, put good ones in it. 🧐

Looks like it’s a tad loose coming down the straight it had a hop might want to adjust the angle of strut just a tad

Back