FUTABA USA

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimracer

Futaba is Now FUTABA USA.  The same great products you have trusted in RC boating since 1962!

Here is the link to the website for direct purchasing

https://futabausa.com

OR.. they have a network of places to purchase like,

Amain Hobbies or Tower Hobbys just to name a few.

Keep an eye on the above Futaba USA web link for specials and deals they post thought the year. You can also get your FUTABA USA SWAG at the above.. NICE!

Grimracer

What broke on your 3PM Richard? The 3PM was a work horse for sure. I had one that was my test radio and it was VERY dependable. Went all over the country with me too!

Thanks

Grim 

Hello Grim

First let me say I have three 3PM transmitters as they are indeed workhorses and I find them easy to use and change settings when necessary

There is a problem with them and the picture below tells me that Futaba is well aware of that problem

that picture is the first one a person sees as he logs into the repair page on the Futaba website, at least it was for me.

The antennae mount is flimsy and breaks easily which allows the plastic housing to swing free and pull on the wire unless one tapes it, glues it, or whatever fix works.

I suppose it was designed to allow the antennae to be positioned for best transmission no matter how a person holds the transmitter.

Almost everyone I know who owns a 3PM has broken the antennae mount, not everyone mind you, but more have than not.

My first contact with Futaba got the response that they no longer repair or service the 3PM. I brought it to their attention that they still sell receivers that will only work with the 3PM.

If the transmitter doesnt work then one has a handfull of receivers that are useless. In my case 7.

The broken antennae mount was only part of my problem however. One of my transmitters went bonkers and the servos would swing lock to lock on their own. Lucky for me it happened on the bench. Yes I determined that the receiver and transmitter were bound together. Even took a second receiver and bound it to transmitter in question with same result. Thought maybe servos were bad so unhooked all of them and tried one at a time with same bad result.

Finally i took out second transmitter, bound it to same receiver and servo set up and it worked perfectly.

Since my first post on this thread I called the surface technician at Futaba and explained my issue to him. He in turn contacted the rep who told me they no longer serviced the 3PM and now my transmitters are on the way to Futaba. Whether they will be returned fully repaired is yet to be seen.

I have my first transmitter from the seventies a two stick AM and some in between so I am familiar with Futaba. I just find it disheartening that they cannot support some of the older equipment.

Hopefully that explains the first post.

Richard Hartley

2019-02-05.png

Copy that!... 

I as well as you are not have not been happy with the antenna mounting system on the TX.. I have/had not broken the one on my 3PM but had on my 3GX..

in my case the plastic case failed around the antenna and not the antenna itself.

yes.. the positioning antenna is to help optimize the signal. In my testing you should do all you can to make sure the antenna is sicking straight up during use... meaning adjusting to your hold position so the antenna is sticking vertical.

I think.. not a great answer.. but Radio South sells or services antennas on the older radios like the 3PM.. (I know.. not a great bit of advice just tossing it out, they can likely fix or trouble shoot your twitchy system too)

The 603FS was or is in this case one of the best RXs I have ever used. I like the new TFHSS systems however and will stick with that for as long as I can. Can you tell me.. do your RXs have blue or orange labels on them? No real deal, Just helps pinpoint the age of the units.

Sorry to hear about your troubles and please keep us updated as things progress.

Grim 

Thank You Grim 

Hopefully the issues will get fixed at Futaba

The receivers are a mixed bag of orange and blue labels for the FS last receivers purchased from Futaba 3/19/2018 as exchange for defective units.

I Have a couple of FF receivers that are orange labels

also a long wait anticipated from Futaba but the radios went into mail yesterday

Richard Hartley

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good..

The FASST blue label RXs are the oldest in the bunch. Oh.. back as far as 2006/7 or so. Around 08-09 the started coming out with the orange label. In VERY hot "next to the pipe" conditions in 1/8 scale RC cars the blue label RXs could fail. (we tested it a bunch but I never had one fail in any boating application)

As you likely know.. the FF has one external antenna and the FS one inside and one out. Now its just easier to look for the word "Diversity" on the RX.. those are the ones we want to use in RC boating.. they are the two antenna units. The FF however in FASST mode is about the best of the external antenna units.. IN RC BOATING.. In saying this I dont personally use any non-diversity RXs anymore. (as stated i modulate in TFHSS now)

Thanks for being patience... sorry about the story book.. 

Grim

IN RC BOATING.. In saying this I dont personally use any non-diversity RXs anymore. (as stated i modulate in TFHSS now)

Thanks for being patience... sorry about the story book..

Grim

Okay, that has me asking a question.  You say you only use "diversity RXs.  Does that include the R304SB?  It is a TFHSS RX and is the one that comes with the 4PLS.

I personally haven't had any issues with the 304, though I did have to reset my 4PLS to get it to work.  Only discovered I could do that after I ordered and received a second one, thinking the first needed to go in for repairs when it stopped working and wouldn't bind with the RX.

The 304 is not a diversity RX.. 

When you look at the top of the case it will say.. Diversity on  it if it  is a Diversity RX

Grim

I am not sure but I doubt it.. the lack of the circuit to to support that second antenna would be the issue. Also. I doubt they would update the FF FASST regarding the timing on those (with all the FHSS stuff) might not make sense anymore.

The FS is the diversity RX in the FASST line for Surface use. Its a good ole RX for sure!

Grim

yes.. my 7PX does it.. you have to install the Futaba GPS l in the boat but yes..

Grim

Grim,

Does the 7PX store top speed or is it "live" only??  Looks like a great radio.  Thinking of updating my old 3PM with taped antenna and many 603FS's that have been flawless for 7 years. 

Duke

Latest posts

Back