FUTABA Transmitter 4PM ??????

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC(someone correct me if I'm wrong please), the FCC set a maximum transmitting power of 500miliwatts on all R/C transmitters. Don't remember if it was to prevent radiation caused health issues or to prevent causing problems to nearby electronics. Again, IIRC, that might have excluded the 50MHz systems but those required an FCC license to use. With that said, the only way(that I know of anyway) to get longer range would be to reduce the impedance through the antenna system of the transmitter or increase the sensitivity of the receiver. Doing the later, however, could cause stray signal interference.
Most of the Futaba radios have 100 mw, 1/10 of a watt ! I run minimum 100watt on my ham radios and 5 watts on Handies.
But saying that, many years ago, I built a 1/4 watt CW transmitter for 7 mhz and made several contacts over 400 miles.

Okay, I got the R/C and early two way radios backwards. My first CB radios(they were cheap "Colts", had one for each car) could barely reach half a mile. The two I have now will reach well over 2 miles, one reached around 5(tested it with my truck driver brother several years ago after getting it "tuned") using a magnetic mount antenna on my car. Neither was tested in ideal conditions as they were tested in the foothills of the Cascade and Olympic Mountain ranges

The basic drones today can fly out over 6 miles still transmitting HD video back to the controller. 5.8 ghz

I was considering purchasing a Futaba 4PM radio. But after reading all of the above reviews, and researching on FutabaUSA website it looks like no
receiver r 304,r324 and r 334 is not compatible with analog servos. Does Futaba make a 3-4 channel radio that can be used with analog servos? DAN

NOT TRUE DAN!!!!
My 4PLS uses the the 304/324/334 series receiver and it does work with analog servos AS LONG AS IT'S IN THE CORRECT MODE TO DO SO.
Per Page 34 of the 4PM manual, under initial set up, the 4PM WILL WORK (just like my 4PLS) with any analog or digital servo as long as it's in normal mode for T-FHSS or S-FHSS. IF you set the system up to transmit in either SR or HIGH SPEED mode for T-FHSS or S-FHSS, you will need to use digital servos.

Found out the same thing about my 4grs radio. I guess it helps to read the instructions, I'm just used to throwing everything together and then try to find out what's wrong lol. Glad you posted that info. Thanks.....

That's a bummer bouyhunter... guess it's back to the books for me. Maybe it's time to go all digital!!! I've got quite a few analog servos but use them for third channel mostly.
I put a few old 1/4 scale into two gas boats but I want to go with the same servos and receivers in all my boats.
I also have a spectrum 5C to try to convert over to pistol grips. 🔫 I still like my sticks though,it's hard to give them up.
Appreciate the info bouyhunter....

The 4GRS has settings for analog and digital servos. And its one way or the other no mixing....
That's the nice thing about the 4PLS and 4PM. As long as it's in NORMAL mode, you can use any combination of analog AND digital servo you want. When I first got mine, I had an analog throttle and digital rudder servo. I now use all digitals but don't see the point of changing to the other mode as it's just not needed for my boats.

The 4GRS has settings for analog and digital servos. And its one way or the other no mixing....

Hey Chris,

This is a false statement. The following was taken directly from the 4GRS manual. Bottom of page 8.

https://futabausa.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/4GRS.pdf
When using analog servos, always switch the T4GRS servo response to the "NORM" mode.
Transmitter mode :"T-FHSS(NORM)", "T-FHSS(NORM)"and FHSS mode
Receiver’s battery :Matched to the ratings of the receiver and connected servo (dry cell battery cannot be used).
The set cannot operate in the "HIGH" mode. Operation in this mode will cause trouble with the servo and other equipment.

Digital servos (including BLS Series brushless servos) can also be used in the "NORM" mode.

Last edited:
Hey Chris,

This is a false statement. The following was taken directly from the 4GRS manual. Bottom of page 8.

https://futabausa.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/4GRS.pdf
When using analog servos, always switch the T4GRS servo response to the "NORM" mode.
Transmitter mode :"T-FHSS(NORM)", "T-FHSS(NORM)"and FHSS mode
Receiver’s battery :Matched to the ratings of the receiver and connected servo (dry cell battery cannot be used).
The set cannot operate in the "HIGH" mode. Operation in this mode will cause trouble with the servo and other equipment.

Digital servos (including BLS Series brushless servos) can also be used in the "NORM" mode.

Thanks for the update Mike! Sorry about the bad info all. Guess I should read, comprehend, stuff better. Read this post again after I seen all the hits. Looking for some decent digital servos for myself. Any recommendations for steering servos - Best bang for the buck?

Thanks for the update Mike! Sorry about the bad info all. Guess I should read, comprehend, stuff better. Read this post again after I seen all the hits. Looking for some decent digital servos for myself. Any recommendations for steering servos - Best ba
ng for the buck?

Hey Chris,

While I have never used them the ProModeler servos have been getting a lot of attention lately.

https://www.promodeler.com/

Thanks for the update Mike! Sorry about the bad info all. Guess I should read, comprehend, stuff better. Read this post again after I seen all the hits. Looking for some decent digital servos for myself. Any recommendations for steering servos - Best bang for the buck?
I really like the Savox SV-1270TG in ever single boat I have for steering, standard case size, I get them off of Amazon when not in stock. Zero failures to date, but I have started looking at the ProModelers but I was told to stay from the Promodeler DS100DLHV.

Back