Futaba Servo Advice Needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombeck

I live in Colorado (Mile High) and 'm getting back into the hobby after many years of absence (like 40). I'm building a Prather 40 offshore boat with a K&B 40 inboard (both kit and motor never used - just been in storage a long time!); I'm planning on getting a Futaba 4PM transmitter with R344SBS receiver. I'm stuck trying to figure out which Futaba servos to get - way too many choices even within this one brand! I'm looking to control steering, throttle and needle. This is a fun boat, not one I intend to race, however, I would like to be sure the servos have enough extra capability to cover larger boats should I go there. Also would like recommendation on batteries for both Tx and Rx. I've read good comments about LiFe? batteries, but again, need some guidance. Thank you in advance.

I use Futaba S3305 metal gear high torque servos for steering and throttle because ive had very good luck with them and I didn't break the bank.....if you want to save a little more money, use S148,s! Ive had those last for years as well! You can use just about any mini servo for the needle, but im not sure you really even need a remote needle for that kind of boat and engine combo.......you can use the 3305 servos in bigger boats within reason.....I used them in a pretty heavy 1/8th scale hydro with no problems! Batteries are like servos....way too many choices! I use plain ol AA alkaline dry cells in my transmitter and they work just fine for me or you can go to nicads, nimihs, Lipos, or Life batteries for both Tx and Rx batteries.....heck ive run AA dry cells in a couple of my race boats, and I get a full 6 volts and have had no problems using them as well.

Welcome back to the hobby as you I just got back in the hobby after a 30 years I live in Denver and raced in local club back in 1985 til 1990 I'm in Michigan now I use nicad batteries for radio easy to charge and last all weekend at a race. alot of stuff has changed since the 80s there is a ton of knowledge on this site so ask before you spend alot of money on things you don't need I run CMB engines now Jeff Barnes

Hi Tom,,and welcome to the site,,good advice from Bill,,I'm not up to date with the latest Futaba servos,,I have raced .45 sprintcats and hydros and never had an issue with standard servos,,but as Bill mentioned,I would go with hi torque,metal gear servo for steering mainly if you intend on bigger boats in the future,,and no need for superfast/response servos,,also,make sure the rudder can pivot back,if you hit an obstacle,,If that is the old KandB .40 side port/piston ring engine or lapped cast iron,it wont rev over around 13,000 rpm and make good power/speed,but if you/re happy with a cruiser/scale speed,,go for it,probably pull a Prather 220-230 prop or Octura x442-x445 at a guess,depending if your prop shaft comes straight out of the transom V,,surface drive,,or out of the bottom,,submerged or semi surface drive,,cheers

Last edited:
Thank you, guys! Very helpful and gives me what I need to get me off the dime! I've got enough now to place my orders now. Appreciate it.

Personally I would use digital servo's so the failsafes in the radio work seamlessly. Power the receiver/servo's with LiFe battery and a quality switch.

Where and when are you Colorado guys running? After 34 years of flying rc pattern airplanes I have built myself a boat although I don't know any fellow boaters. Thanks for your replies. M.G.

Mike, here is a link to one of the clubs here in Colorado https://namba-20.com/ I’ve been to a several of their races over the years however, as near as I can tell, they haven’t scheduled anything in over a year and a half. There are a few other clubs in the state, but not ones near where I live. The info on those clubs can be found on the main Namba site http://namba.com/content/default.aspHope this helps. Hopefully this Spring things will be back to normal and clubs will be scheduling events again!

Back